Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified
15772482

Mercedes-Benz CLK 500 I have a 2005 CLK 500. Radio was working

I have a 2005 CLK 500. Radio was working fine until yesterday. Presets and display still works. However, I am getting no sound when I turn up the volume, either from the steering wheel or manually. I inserted a single CD and loaded it, again no sound. When I press the CDC button, the display states "no CD". I removed the CDC and reinserted it, still get same reading. I am thinking it may be a fuse. Removed the fuse guide, but the fuse in question is either number 20 or 64 if I remember correctly. The mute button is not on-any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Nelson Garcia :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assistin you today.

Customer :

Good morning, Nelson.

Nelson Garcia :

Hi.

Nelson Garcia :

The most logical cause of the problem is the radio amplifier

Nelson Garcia :

I wouold start by pulling the fuse for the radio amplifier

Customer :

When I looked at the fuse guide there was one for the radio, is this the one I would pull?

Nelson Garcia :

no there should be a seperate one for the amplifier

Nelson Garcia :

if not go into the trunk and pull the right rear panel out

Nelson Garcia :

the amplifier is there and you can unplug it directly

Customer :

I am looking at the fuse chart stored in the side dash fuse box, it does not show a fuse for the amplifier. If I unplug the amp, what do I do regarding the fuse?

Nelson Garcia :

If you unplug the amp there is no need to pull the fuse.

Nelson Garcia :

I will look up the fuse. Give me a moment

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I unplug the amp, the radio still will not work, correct?

Nelson Garcia :

The amplifier usually locks up

Nelson Garcia :

and by pulling the power source it performs a hard reset

Nelson Garcia :

so if this works the amp will eventually go bad to the point of no return

Nelson Garcia :

so pretty much if it resets you need an amp

Customer :

Ok, I will try it, and get back to you in just a few minutes

Customer :

Nelson, I just went out to the car, turned it on and the radio came on. The CDC changer worked as well. Thanks for your help, I am a gentleman and will reimburse you anyway.

Nelson Garcia :

Hello

Nelson Garcia :

one second

Nelson Garcia :

you may have an intermittant problem

Nelson Garcia :

Let me give you the information so that you have it if it happens again

Customer :

Thank you

Nelson Garcia :

Full Size Image

Nelson Garcia :

It is fuse26

Nelson Garcia :

a 25 amp fuse

Nelson Garcia :

That is for the radio amplifier. So the next time if the radio sound goes off try pulling that fuse and see if it comes on right away when you re install it

Nelson Garcia :

don't pull it until then

Nelson Garcia :

Full Size Image

Nelson Garcia :

This is the radio amp. Its the black unit and is located on the right trunk behind the panel

Nelson Garcia :

Thankyou for your generocity

Nelson Garcia :

Have a wonderful day.

Customer :

Now I see it on the chart, under SOUND SYSTEM, i did not think to look there!!

Nelson Garcia :

Yes

Nelson Garcia :

but i woudn't touch it until it gives you a problem

Nelson Garcia :

Its a good test to see if it is bad. The radio amp is on a fiber optic loop and the cd changer is on the loop also.

Nelson Garcia :

So if one shuts off the other does too.

Customer :

Got it, thanks so much. Have a great day!!

Nelson Garcia :

Again good luck and take care.

Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience: 6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified