Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified

1999 slk230: cigarette lighter..12 volt..charger or blows the fuse

I have a 1999 SLK 230. The cigarette lighter works but when I plug in a 12 volt charger for a GPS or Cell Phone, it immediately either destroys the charger or blows the fuse in the charger if it has one.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be assisting you today. First of all if the cigar lighter works and does not blow the fuse the lighter is fine and the wiring to the lighter is fine. That rules that out of the question. The problem has to be with the charger or the charger cable. Has the harness for the charger been modified in any way. Some times people cut the wire shorter and there us a small plastic resistor in line on the wire that people think is not important and they cut it out. If that is missing it will cause that problem. Other than that the problem has to be in the phone or gps connection.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry but the chargers involved have not been modified in any way and they all worked fine in other vehicles. The gps charger suffered a blown fuse when I plugged it into the Mercedes. When I replaced the fuse and plugged it into the lighter in my truck, it worked fine. I again tried it in the Mercedes and immediately the fuse in the charger was blown.
How is the lighter itself on the Mercedes. Is it worn or dirty from the cigarette lighter being used. You may just have a short in the lighter. Try replacing it first before anything else. They are not to expensive.