Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified
15772482

My 1999 Mercedes C230 ABS light stays on . I believe that

Customer Question

My 1999 Mercedes C230 ABS light stays "on". I believe that my ABS is not working.
What needs to be checked?
Where is it located in the engine compartment?
Thanks,
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 4 years ago.
The abs pump is in the left front engine bay area. I would check the codes first. Often thestop lamp switch goes bad a triggers the abs light on that model car. It cost 15 dollars . Its a cheap place to start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Nelson,

Thanks for the info.. I do not have a unit to be able to get the codes... It is both my ABS and my BAS/ASR lights that stay ON. Now my Check Engine light also stays On. The ABS does not seem to be working on wet roads.

What unit should I check?? Where is it located in the engine??

Thanks, John

Hello, the fact that all of those lights are on indicates there is definitely an electrical problem. The abs will not work while the lights are on so that is expected. There really isn't anything to check visually beside that the electrical plug is in place in the abs pump and that none of the wires are visibly damaged. I would check the codes if at all possible. Go to an auto zone if you have one in your area since they provide free diagnostic of the check engine light. Like i said before 99 percent of the time the abs light comes on for the stop lamp switch on that car. You may want to just replaced it and have someone check and erase the codes at the same time. The switch is 25 bucks and is not that difficult to replace. It is located directly above the brake pedal. You just unplug the electrical connector and then squeeze the lock tab on the switch and turn it counter clockwise to remove it. Install in the reverse order but make sure the tip of the switch is extended all the way before installing it.
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience: 6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Nelson

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have further questions.