Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified
15772482

My check engine light comes on then turns off, I have since

My check engine light comes on then turns off, I have since noticed a loss of power and some odd rpm levels on the tach during normal driving. I havnt done the "B service" as of yet either, can this be why? It has 51k on the engine
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 4 years ago.
You have 51000 miles now. How long ago did you do the last oil change?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did it 2000 miles ago. It's not due until 53000
Having not done the B service should have nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing, you may be experiencing a misfire in the engine or a software issue. To test this you would need to check for codes to see what is going on. To do so you will need a scanner. If you don't have one you may want to go to the dealer so that they can make sure you have the latest software in the engine module at the sane time,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got my car tested today and they said it the crankshaft/camshaft positioning correlation bank 1 senso A. Not to sure what that is? How much do you think that would cost to fix?
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 3 years ago.

The cam sensor reads the camshaft rpm and the crank sensor reads the engine rpm. But the code is saying the positioning is not correct in relation to each other. I would replace the cam shaft sensor and cam magnet first. Erase the code and if it comes back there is a mechanical problem inside the engine. The sensor may cost you around 300 bucks and it would be maybe 500 installed. Do you have the v6 or the 230 compressor 4 cylinder?

If you have the v6 do you have the 240, 320, or 350 model.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure but it's the lowest model so I would assume it's the 240 version. With the sluggish start, do you think this will fix the problem?

The reason I ask is because the newer motors that were the 350 had issues wit the cam magnet. That was the first thing we did at the dealer was put that in. IF the codes came back right away we knew the front mechanical mechanism was broken and the motor needed to come apart to do it. Thats a big job. But if you have one of the other motors I would put the sensors in. If you want to save money put the magnet then the cam sensor and erase codes to see if they come back each time. Crank sensors go bad but they don't trigger that type of code. Usually the car don't start with a bad crank sensor.

Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience: 6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified