Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

E320 BAS/ESP/ABS Malfunction and wont shift out of park. Help

E320 BAS/ESP/ABS Malfunction and won't shift out of park. Help
Chat Conversation Started
Pete :

What year is your E class?

Pete :

Has anything been done to try and correct this failure?

Pete :

Have you had the fault codes read out of the computer at all?

Pete :

Let me know,Thanks Pete.

Customer:

2001.. JUst went out to start it to go to work.. Nothing has been done except new tires 2 weeks ago.

Customer:

My concern is I can't shift out of park to get it anywhere

Pete :

ok,the most common failure on this vehicle for this exact concern is a faulty brake pedal switch,this switch sends a signal to release the shifter when the brake pedal is pushed,what somtimes happens is this switch sticks in the up position(the position to where it thinks the brake pedal isnt pressed) and then the shifter wont release,sometimes pushing the brake pedal down and lifting up on it several times might release the switch to operate normally and other times it wont,you can try this to see if it will release out of park afterwards.But either way the switch has to be replaced to correct this problem,the new updated switch has a longer plunger on it so it doesnt stick,these tend to correct the problem permanently.These switches usually cost around $25 and take about a half hour to replace.you can try playing with the brake pedal to see if it will release for you,it may or may not.Sometimes you can remove the lower paneling above the pedals to gain access to this switch and manually push and pull the plunger on it to get it to release,if it does release but still wont come out of park then it has an internal fault in the switch and the only way to correct it is to replace it.We stock these at our dealer by the handfulls as we replace almost one a week on these vehicles.This is the most common failure for this concern.

Customer:

Ok I will go try that thanks

Pete :

Also if you look around the shifter assembly there may be a small trap door(a little square that pushes in with like a pen or similar)if your vehicle has this door you can use a pen or similar object to push in through this door to as far as your pen will go then while holding the pen there you can shift out of park.Some vehicles had this feature and some didnt,if it does then you can shift out of park this way,if it doesnt then you may have to play with the brake switch to get it to release,if you cannot get it to release then it will have to be towed to a dealer for replacement of the switch

Pete :

I hope this information helped,If you need anything else let me know,If you feel satisfied that I have assisted please click accept as this is how I get paid,positive feedback is appreciated,Thanks Pete.

Customer:

Thanks Pete

Pete :

Or you can purchase the brake pedal switch yoursef and try to put it in

Pete :

your welcome,Thanks Pete.

Pete :