Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified
15772482

my 1998 slk hard top will not work .the..trunk lid

my 1998 slk hard top will not work .the windows will come down .then the windows will not come back up .the trunk lid will not lock the hinges down .you can hear the pump work for about 20 seconds.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 4 years ago.
How does the pump sound when it is running? Is it making a groaning noise when running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the pump makes a sound as if it needs fuild .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when i bought the car the drop top was not working ,the red button light will not flash.

the windows wiil not go up or down .the drivers window would not work so i installed a

new regulator and then it would work only for a couple of times . the passenger window allways worked well, when i pushed the button last week the windows would not go back up at all . the only sound i hear from the trunk is the pump sounding like it has no fluid in the pump ,but i have to hold the buuton down for this to happen.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did not receive your answer. i only received your queston as to the sound the pump makes?

I apologize for the delay. Yes I meant to press the need more info button but pressed the answer button by accident. I didn't mean to make you think that was my answer. I just needed more information from you. As far as the car goes. If you hear the groaning noise like it needs fluid it is low and should be filled. The system is operation ok if this pump is running. Normally if an electrical problem occurs then the pump will be cut off and it will not work at all. I'm not sure about you windows just yet. I would start by filling the pump and looking for any signs of leaks. You may not be able to check for leaks yourself since there are many places the lines run to. However at least you will be able to verify the problem.

Here is a picture of the pump and it is located in the right rear of the trunk. You may need to remove a panel to access it.

graphic

Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience: 6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified