Anthony, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  MB Tech. since 1997. ASE Master. MB Factory Technician. MB Antique Specialist.

My 1999 ML 320 threw codes P0170 and P0173 with freeze frame

My 1999 ML 320 threw codes P0170 and P0173 with freeze frame LTFT in the 14 percent range and STFT in the -1 percent range. I used MAF cleaner on my MAF sensor and the LTFTs jumped to 20 percent. I have replaced the MAF sensor and the LTFT has dropped to around 6 percent. But the STFT is now around 6 percent (negative, I think, but not sure) and the computer still is throwing the P0170 and P0173 codes. (Engine idle appears to be a bit rougher too.) What is my next most logical culprit? Or is the computer merely taking its time in readjusting to the new MAF sensor? Thanks!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.

Hello Sir or Madam. Welcome to justanswer!

You need to have the adaptation values cleared out of the computer. This cant be done with a regular scan tool. It has to be done with an MB specific tool. The dealer charges a half hour to do this. The codes will return with a new sensor or not until you get the values cleared.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But will the adaptation values eventually settle down to normal without being reset? Can I just give it a few more miles, or do the values really need to be cleared? And presumably the trouble codes will stop appearing (after I clear them with my OBD2 tool) once the values settle down, right?
Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.

Ok, if you're at + or minus 10 percent or less your good. Some techs don't reset the adaptation I however do and have been doing so since these airflow sensors started failing at 50K miles often. I have had at my dealership at the time had 5 comebacks from not resetting the values. Once that was done I never had a light again after doing the sensor. Have the values reset. By the book thats the right way.