Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

1988 300E: Transmission problems..automatic Trans..pulling..2nd gear

Transmission problems 1988 300E automatic Trans.198,000k

2nd day after getting car was driving (no history on car was bought at auction) and felt like trans gave out. After pulling over was able to limp home in 2nd gear or is it 1st? Anyway, next day drove car and it ran fine shifted fine. But after getting warmed up it stayed in the low gear and will not shift up. Day two same and three same etc. Seems to shift ok when cold but after 10-15 min stays stuck in low gear.
Trans fluid clean and I topped it off a little, its synthetic good quality fluid.
I checked the vacuum line on drivers side from intake manifold down to trans and its good. Linkage from accelerator is connected and shifter linkage seems ok though rubber grommets a little worn. I also removed the kick down switch from under the gas peddle it almost seemed to help - but no, still stays stuck in 2nd ? after getting warmed up.

Is there anything else that I can do, or is this internal? Inside the transmission. I am able
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, this sounds internal. I suspect you are losing governor pressure when the transmission warms and it cannot overcome the modulator pressure. It's a fairly common problem on that model.