MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

The P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit is..malfunction

Customer Question

where is the P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit is? how can i fix the malfunction?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

The speed sensor is attached to the electrical plate on top of the valve body inside the transmission & is a common failure on these vehicles.

To replace the valve body needs to be removed - remove the sump pan & disconnect the electrical connector on the side of the transmission. There is a single bolt fixing in the centre of the insert to remove the plastic spacer where the electrical connector came out. Replace this spacer & the 2 seals when you reassemble.

You can then remove the bolts & drop the valve body down. The electrical plate sits on top & you need to remove the solenoid valves first (remove the torx screws holding them down). Ensure you note where the valves come out of.

The plate can then be removed & replaced.

When you install the valve body ensure you line up the selector shaft with the pin inside the transmission as you bolt it back up.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would i need any special tools and where can i find the sensor, i tried autozone with no luck

Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

I have only used Mercedes genuine parts as I work in a dealer but this is the part you need:

Transmission electrical plate

Also the spacer with seals:

Spacer

I would also replace the sump gasket if this was not changed when you replaced the oil & filter.

Ensure your vehicle details are correct before ordering!

There are no special tools required - as said the bolts are torx bolts so you will need a set of torx bit sockets to remove the valve chest & plate.

The centre bolt in the electical connector is a small 7mm from memory.

The only other tool you need is the workshop dipstick to check the oil but if you have already changed the oil then I'm guessing you have access to one of these. If not then these are available on ebay.

Best regards, Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I changed the electrical plate but the engine light stay on and still doing the problem when cold.
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

Have you erased all codes? What codes are coming back - is it the same one?

Has the oil level been checked using the correct dipstick in the transmission?

What are your actual symptoms? Is it going into limp mode (stuck in one gear)?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The oil level was not properlly check, when I first start the car it will stadle then turn off, after many try it will stay running. But when I drive it, its not through all the gears. I cleared the codes everytime but the still come back on sometime with the same old code for the speed sensor. I was thinking of changing the TPS next.
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

Are there any other codes other than the speed sensor one coming back? Do you know what the codes are?

Is the engine running badly as well then? Do you mean it is stalling? Any lack of power when driving?

Are there any undervoltage codes stored? Have you checked the battery?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no more codes but the battery is completely dead now I will need to buy a new one, when do so I will post the result.
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

Undervoltage faults caused by a battery in low condition can cause similar symptoms as the valves in the transmission do not get the required voltage. It may be a simple battery problem.

I would replace the battery, ensure the alternator is charging fully, erase all codes & test again.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I changed the battery in the car, but still going the same problem. However, drive much better, I am going change the TPS to see if that would fix it. I don't know what else to do
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

Sounds like a bit of an ongoing problem for you. Are there any codes coming back now?

You said it is driving better - exactly what symptoms are you getting now?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I still have the code p0715, I have to keep starting the car to stay running but when warned up it stay running and I can drive it. The car esitated when I flood the pedal so I have to keep pumping the gas to stay going, if changing the throttle position sensor don't fix it I would know what else to replace
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

Was there any oil present in the electrical connector at the gearbox?

Best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No there was no oil at the connector, can a tps of a different model work with my car, the dealership want to charge me around $500 for the part. The tps of the other model has the same part number.
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

I dont think the throttle sensor is likely to be causing any issues with the gearbox speed sensor, if you are still getting this same code then the next step would be to check the wiring to the transmission ECU or it may be an ECU issue itself.

Was the electrical plate replaced with a new unit?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I changed the electrical plate, the throttle position sensor, the battery, but the code remain after I reset it. The engine light goes off when I reset it but come back on when I let the car run, I also changed the plugs
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

Is this the only code that is stored?

Was the electrical plate replaced with a brand new part?

Do all the pins look ok in the electrical connector?

The next step would be to check for good continuity from the transmission connector to the ECU using a multi meter. If you would like me to help you check this then please post your VIN number so I can check the wiring diagram for your vehicle.

Best regards, Paul