Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1998 Mercedes: wagon..oil sensor..it has not been driven..sound right

Customer Question

Testing a 1998 Mercedes wagon, and the hyraulic oil sensor went on?
The mechanic said it has not been driven in a while , and it will go off after driving? Does that sound right?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, can you post your vin # XXXXX?

Customer:

WDBJH65F3WA502046

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the confusion I stepped away for a few moments. Are you seeing a warning light or a text message? Is the light yellow or red?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just gave you th Vin number of the car but have not received an answer form you as regards XXXXX XXXXX problem

The color of the light was yellow
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The color of the light was yellow ...It read: Hydraulic Oil Sensor" in yellow
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Sorry about the confusion I had to step away. Are you seeing a picture of an oil can?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did not see a picture of an oil can...Just the text message in yellow,"Hydraulic Oil, in yellow text
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Ok, the message is definitely not normal. If your hydraulic fluid is low it is going to be due to a leak in the system. I would return the car to where you purchased it and have them top up the hydraulic fluid and most importantly check for leaks in the suspension system. You may want to have it checked by an independent service center to be sure they aren't brushing you off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The yellow text message went off as the car was being driven...mechanic said the fluid was topped off... it will synchronize as it is being driven and if it goes on again to bring it in...does that sound right?
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
That will be fine as long as they will take care of the problem if it leaks out a month from now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The light went on again while my son was driving it Sunday...Again, no oil can just a text message in yellow. Mechanic (owners brother ,and, owner of the shop tat reapirs MB) said to bring it in and hw will look at it tomorrow. Is is safe to drive it today??

If there is a leak, is it expensive to fix?

Is it difficult to diagnose...what is the proper way to do this???
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The light went on again while my son was driving it Sunday...Again, no oil can just a text message in yellow, with a picture of a steering wheel, I believe...

Mechanic(owners's brother) said to bring it in and will check it..Thinks the sesnor is not reading correctly..Reassured me all fluids were topped off.

Is is safe to drive it today??

Does this sound right??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is is safe to drive it today??

Does this sound right??

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, if there is no fluid on the ground anywhere it's safe enough to drive. It may very well be a sensor problem. The system is simple to diagnose. The fluid in the reservoir needs to be checked for the proper level and if it's low the system must be visually inspected for leakage.