MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

key to my mercedes benz will not open my i manually open it

Customer Question

key to my mercedes benz will not open my door. i manually open it and the alarm goes off and nothing works electronicly. the alarm goes off after you get i the car and still goes off while you drive. please help
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

Do you have a spare key & is the problem the same with both keys?

Have you tried new handset batteries?

You CLK sends 2 signals - a radio frequency (RF) & an infra red (IR) signal to the car - usually the car picks up the RF signal for the central locking - aim the key directly at the drivers door handle at short range - does the central locking work now?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its a problem with both keys.

I have not tried new batteries, but I will.

holding the key in a short range is not working as well.

Have you ever heard of this?

Thanks.
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

There are a few different problems we see.

First is just the handset batteries need replacing, this is a cheap simple repair so I would replace both sets of batteries first.

Next if the keys still do not work then try to resynchronize the keys:

Press the lock button on the key twice while sitting in the drivers seat.
Insert the key into the ignition & turn the ignition key on so all lights are on the dash.
Remove the key & press the lock button twice again.

This should re-sync the keys & carry this out on each key in turn.

There is a basic power test you can do - press & hold the lock button on each key for around 5-10 seconds, a small red LED at the end of the key should flash. If not & the batteries are good then the key is defective & should be replaced.

Faulty keys are fairly common & need replacing, even the red LED test is not a sure fire way of knowing the key is sending a good signal, it just means the key is powering up when pressed.

If the above is all ok then the vehicle will need testing on Mercedes STAR diagnosis to see if there are any faults & if the car is getting a signal from each key.

If the key still does not work with the IR signal (close range - aim at the small IR receiver in the handle) then the ignition switch is a possibility. This contains all the key information & checks the keys are correct for the vehicle.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards, Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try this now, Thank you...one more thing

the display says malfunction take to shop and the SOS is on, when i do bring it in they cannot seem to locate the problem.
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

We do not have the SOS (tele-aid) system here in the UK where I am, but it does have its own ECU & should store a code if there is a fault. The instrument cluster can also store a fault or event.

Let me know how you get on.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks Paul! you've been a great help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Nick
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.
Hi Nick,

No problem! If you need anything else then just let me know.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So to recap, my 2003 CLK320, suddenly I am unable to access my car using keyless go, also the remote is not working. I have to use the valet key to enter my car. Fuel and temp guages not working, windows do not properly set into place when opening and closing doors. Both batteries have tested ok and checked fuses. What do you think I should do next?

This problem comes and goes, but now more often then not. Mercedes is no help.

-Nick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So to recap, my 2003 CLK320, suddenly I am unable to access my car using keyless go, also the remote is not working. I have to use the valet key to enter my car. Fuel and temp guages not working, windows do not properly set into place when opening and closing doors. Both batteries have tested ok and checked fuses. What do you think I should do next? This problem comes and goes, but now more often then not. Mercedes is no help. -Nick
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.
Hi Nick,

As per my answer - replace the handset batteries first & try the resynchronization procedure.

Ensure the LED's light up on the keys.

Otherwise you will need to have the car checked on a diagnostic tool.

You have said other systems are not working now - these could all be related & a full check of all systems should be carried out on Mercedes STAR diagnosis or similar to see what codes are stored.

Let me know how you get on.

Best regards, Paul