Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified
15772482

2001 Mercedes CL600: driver side door..latches..Passenger side is ok.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Mercedes CL600. The driver side door power assist (vacuum system that closes the door after it latches) does not work. Passenger side is OK. Any ideas what it could be? This happened in the last few days.
Thanks
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 7 years ago.
Hello, there are a few possibilities for the problem. This uses vacuum to pull the door close in the latch so the latch will have a diaphragm to create the vacuum and pull the latch. This diaphragm breaks and can no longer pull the latch. Remove the door panel and check the operation by just using a screw driver to click the latch to the first catch position and see if you hear a leak. If not then the next thing I would look into is the micro switch that recognizes the activation of the first click in the latch. It is "micro" and is internally installed inside the latch so it will require a latch if not reading. Using a dealer scanner its value can be read and then you can tell if bad or not. If don't have scanner you have to guess. The last problem is the pse pump that is not sending the vacuum to the lock itself. This is very rare and normally the entire pump will go bad and cause the trunk and the other door to not work. Also the seat lumbar will be inop also. I think the latch should be replaced since this will have the micro switch and the diaphragm in one.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Nelson,

I checked for vacuum leak and there is none. The vacuum pump must be OK since passenger door and the trunk door are OK. This leaves the micro switch. Could this also be caused by a blown fuse? Is there a fuse for this and where can I find it?

Thanks

No there isn't a fuse for the micro switch. The switch just goes bad and looses continuity. I'm sure the latch is bad. However if you want to confirm a scanner is needed to read the value.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Nelson,

Can you let me know how to read the value with a scanner? I can borrow one from Advanced Auto Parts store?

Thanks