mbfixer
mbfixer, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  20 plus years hands on experience old cars new cars SDS-WIZ on hand to help assist you.

My car starts but it dies a few seconds after starting

Customer Question

my car starts but it dies a few seconds after starting
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mbfixer replied 4 years ago.
helloCustomerwhat repairs have you made, has the car been used lately or sitting, since so little information from you we need to find out what has failed, the engine needs fuel-spark and air to run, we need to find out which one of these items are not working properly and not letting engine start. a simple test would be to spray some starting fluid into air cleaner and see if engine will run, and by spraying some amounts in quicks bursts, you may be able to keep engine running. where do you want to start, if car has been sitting for long period of time. we will want to inspect fuel distributor plunger is may be seized. let me know what you have done and i will be glad to continue. going to step away for few and eat some breakfast i will check on you later, the engine in this model is one of MB best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car has been sitting for a few months now, however, this issue was happening before I parked it, thats why its been sitting cause I cant get it cranked. The only thing I did before it died was replacean overload relay that was addressed in my last online session with justanswer. After I made the repair, it drove great for about a month, was running very strong, I turned it off, and fifteen minutes later it wouldnt start with the symptons im describing.
Expert:  mbfixer replied 4 years ago.
hello ok your first post mentions engine starts and dies, this last post says engine will not crank. so i am thinking the engine will not turn over-crank. this system gets a 12 volt signal that comes from the ignition switch to through neutral safety switch to the starter motor. for sure we need a strong battery, the next item to try is put shifter into neutral and try to start the engine, this car has a neutral safety switch mounted on the side of transmission. we will need a 12 volt test and or a volt meter for our next test also have a jumper wire close by so we can by pass NS switch if the switch test bad. then first test is to get a 12 volt test light and test for power at the small violet wire on the starter motor when then ignition key is turned to the start position, you will need good strong battery and a helper to turn key while you ground your test light at the negative terminal at the battery and the other end of the test light to the small violet wire on the starter motor, with key turned to start position you should have power (lighted) test light. let me know what you have we will go from there. also get that starting fluid, due to sitting i would suspect multiple probems and together we can try to solve them all. i used to own 86 300e great car. let me know what you have be glad to help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im sorry i took a long break. i had to go do some work with my job. now im back to

go a long as it takes. you're right, i did mention that it doesnt crank, that was boneheaded of me. it does crank then dies in 1 to 2 seconds. it will crank even 10 to 20 times if i try, but always goes dead after a few secnonds. what do you think now?

Expert:  mbfixer replied 4 years ago.
hello i am thinking that the car is out of fuel or the electric fuel pump is not functioning properly. lets test to make the fuel pump is running when the engine is being cranked- turned over- started, you will need a helper for this test, have your helper turn the ignition key -start the engine you lay down under right rear section of car the electric fuel pump is located above the right rear axle shaft, behind a black plastic shield. remove shield and put your hand right on the fuel pump itself. while trying to start engine fuel pump must run. also you could spray some starting fluid and see if the engine will start. let me know what you have found i wait to hear from you. good luck. we are testing to find out if our problem is fuel related or spark related. a common problem is the fuel pump relay that is what i am thinking no fuel.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do have fuel in the gas tank. Also. will I hear the fuel pump running, and if I hear it running, does that mean its functioning properly? As for using the starting fluid, this car does not have a carburator, so where do I spray the starting fluid? Also, what is the location of the fule pump relay? Thx!
Expert:  mbfixer replied 4 years ago.
hello ok if the fuel pump is running then the fuel pump is relay is good. so lets make sure that the fuel pump is running. as for where to spray starting fluid remove the plastic elephant tube for the air filter assembly and spray right into opening at air filter assembly. keep your face away be careful the engine may fart or burp through the intake, so be careful. let me know what you get. the fuel pump relay is located over by battery has the word KICKDOWN written on the top of relay. by pass pins 87 and 30 this will make fuel pump run all the time even with key off, so remove the jumper wire when finished with your test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ill have to check some of these irems tomorrow since its late and dark outside and follow up with you afterwards.
Expert:  mbfixer replied 4 years ago.
hello sir it is very normal for us to talk over several day period, keep this question open and let when know when you get a chance take your time. good luck