Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

could a blown fuse cause the air conditioner to not operate

could a blown fuse cause the air conditioner to not operate on a s500 4matic 2004
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hello,I just need a little more info to assist better,Did you find a blown fuse on this vehicle or are you asking if you had a blown fuse would it cause the ac to not operate?Has anything else been checked for this concern?Thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if i had a blown fuse would it not work as my ac was working fine and i let it sit most of the summer and it was not in use, i noticed the ac led indicator that says airconditioner off shine red one day i was driving i pushed it and could not turn it on but it was fall and i was using heat so it didn't matter at the time
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
O.k.,this led light is indicating a fault in the ac system,this fault could be anything from a blown fuse to no freon in the system due to a freon leak.The most common is no or low freon in the ac system.You can check your fuses in your vehicle to see if any are blown you will have fuse boxes under the hood and in the trunk and I believe under the rear seat there should be an access panel there as well.What you probably want to have checked is the freon level,this has to be done with an ac machine or a Mercedes dealer can read out fault codes to see what codes have set.A dealer even after the problem is found and repaired has to clear out the fault codes in the system to get the system to operate properly again.I have found some condensors,compressors and some hoses leaking on this model vehicle before so its to hard from here to pinpoint where the leak is at if the freon level is low.This has to be found with either ac dye in the ac system when it is recharged with freon or an ac detection sniffer that sniffs out the freon leak,the dye is the best method and if your car already has dye in it then the dye detection light can be used to locate the leak now before replacing the freon.If you don't find any blown fuses then the best way to go about this is to have the fault codes read out by a dealer to see why the ac isn't operating.I hope this information helped,if you need anything else let me know,Thanks Pete.
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience: Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician