Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

1996 C220: Mercedes have a transfer fuel pump..tank

Does the 1996 C220 Mercedes have a transfer fuel pump that, when required, pumps fuel from an "inactive" tank to the "main" tank (i.e. the tank from which the fuel is drawn)?
Hi Mercs4ver, can you please post your vin number?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Marty,

You are quite correct to ask my VIN as, now that I've looked at the plate I realise that my car was made in '93 so it will be a '94 model not a '96.

The VIN number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Thanks John, it helps when researching the information. Your car uses a jet pump as part of the fuel level sending unit. You would need to have both level sensors removed and inspect for kinked hoses or hoses that are not connected. I've attached a picture of the level sensor below and outlined the jet pump in red. I've also included a diagram of the tank. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Many thanks for all that Marty.

Have copied the two pictures you have forwarded and will follow the matter up with my local service centre.

Will I need to have a near-empty fuel tank for my man to undertake the check or can it be quite easily done irrespective?

Again, many thanks for your expertise. Have never used this service before but, thanks to you, certainly won't hestate to do so again if the need arises.

Thank you John, the level sensors install from the bottom so an empty tank will be necessary. I've attached the procedure below.

Replace Fuel Level Senders