Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2004 CLK 500; My power sunroof will not auto close. You

Customer Question

2004 CLK 500;

My power sunroof will not auto close. You press the button forward and the lid begins to close but then goes backwards a little bit then stops. The only way to close it is to hold the button down until it completely closes. How do I fix this?

Dave
Kleinburg, Ontario
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dave, I would start by trying to initialize the sunroof express feature. To do this you need to press the sunroof switch in the direction of position 1 pictured below until the roof is fully raised at the rear and then hold for an additional 1 -2 seconds. This should reset the roof and get your express feature working again. You may need to repeat the procedure once or twice in order to get it set. If you continue to have trouble you may need to have the car connected to Star Diagnosis to reset the motor or you could have a fault in the motor itself but initializing the function usually takes care of it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

graphic

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Marty,

I'll try that. Would you also happen to know why I cannot program the garage door opener. I even got the MB service advisor to program it but it didn't work for him either.

Dave

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Marty,

I'll try that. Would you also happen to know why I cannot program the garage door opener. I even got the MB service advisor to program it but it didn't work for him either. Is there a way to initialize that system as well?

Dave

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.

Sorry Dave I stepped out for church. No doubt you have a rolling code opener. I've attached the procedure for programing the opener from your manual. Let me know if you need more help with it.

Marty

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. I repeated the procedure 3x to no avail. It just stops after a few inches, backs up a bit and stops - part way open.

Also, you gave me the same procedure for the garage door opener that I tried from the owner's manual and that the MB tech tried as well. That doesn't work either.

Amazing car though. Every trip is an adventure.

Dave

(from Kleinburg, Ont)

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dave, when pressing the switch only press it lightly to the first detent. Is your sunroof moving to the raised position when you move it backwards? On your opener the tech would have needed to program it while at your home. Is that what he did?