mbfixer, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  20 plus years hands on experience old cars new cars SDS-WIZ on hand to help assist you.

Remove a ignition switch from a 1985 Mercedes 300 turbo diesel?

How to remove a ignition switch from a 1985 Mercedes 300 turbo diesel?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mbfixer replied 6 years ago.
hello may i ask does the key turn or is the ignition key stuck and will not turn, this ignition switch is a 3 piece part which part of the ignition are you trying to remove. get back to me when you can. if key does not turn which is common problem on older model MB cars. the steering lock will have to cut in half. for you to replace ignition switch the key-tumbler needs to turn to position 2 i wait to hear from you,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need to get the wires out of the back of the igintion switch. The starter stuck and burned the wires from the nuetral safety switch to the ingition switch. So i need to get the whole switch out of the car to replace some of the wires. Thanks
Expert:  mbfixer replied 6 years ago.
hello does the key turn to positon 2? if key will turn then turn key to position 2, with key at positiion 2. you will see at the top of the black tumbler cover-silver part of igntion tumbler, there will be a small hole for you to insert long strong paper clip in the hole, push the paper clip all the way in this hole, know you will be able to rotate the black cover for tumbler go ahead and unscrew this black ring. the igntion lock, electrcial plug is done with key in position 2 if you can not turn key you will not remove. once you get black cover off get back to me too much to write we will do in steps. let me know when you have black cover off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We got the cover off wires are burned into the cover on the back of switch. Bypass some wires to get the car running . No need of futher assitance.
Expert:  mbfixer replied 6 years ago.
hello ok great job, i will be hear if you need more help i have replaced many of these steering lock assemblies, please press accept so i may get credit for helping you. again if i can help anymore just ask, i will wait to hear from you