Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified

2000 E320: blows..a 7.5 amp fuse which controls the dash lights..rain

Customer Question

I have a 2000 E320 that blows a 7.5 amp fuse which controls the dash lights and the rear license plate lights when the lights are turned on in the rain. Where would you start and how would you isolate/locate the short? Thanks.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 6 years ago.
First check the obvious by removing the fuse and inspecting the socket with a light. Make sure there are no burn marks in the socket. If so replace the fuse box. Next remove the license plate bulb sockets and inspect the wiring for damage or corrosion. Sometimes water may gain access to this compartment when light seal wears and will create corrosion. Replace or repair as necesary. If the problem persists, check the resistance between the fuse box pin where the fuse was and ground. If the circuit is not open there is a short in the wiring and I would start by removing the fuse box and checking the plugs behind it. Then trace the wiring.