Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

1999 E320: slow..jerky..I recently replaced the battery...any ideas

all the windows in my 1999 E320 are not working properly. The rear won't open and the front are very slow and jerky to open or close. I recently replaced the battery...any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 6 years ago.

Hi(NNN) NNN-NNNN did the windows work fine before the battery?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure, the front ones did.
Expert:  Marty replied 6 years ago.

Ok, it sounds like the windows need to be synchronized. You do it by pressing lightly on the window switch until it's all the way up and then holding it there for an additional 2 seconds. Repeat the procedure for the down position. I've attached the procedure below. Let me know how it goes.

Synchronizing Power Windows

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or low), the windows cannot be opened by the Express feature.

To resynchronize the Express feature:

• Press the UP side of the window switch (to the 1st detent only) until the window is completely closed and hold for and additional 2 seconds.
  • Repeat procedure for each window.

Note: If vehicle is equipped with two way Express feature, each window may also have to be resynchronized in the full open position as well.

• Press the DOWN side of window switch (to the 1st detent only) until the window is completely opened and hold for and additional 2 seconds.

The automatic full opening procedure of the windows should now be restored.