Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

2005 Mercedes E320. What causes whining with the power steering

2005 Mercedes E320. What causes whining with the power steering when standing still and driving? Power steering fluid is full.

HiCustomer was any work recently done to the system? Was the fluid low at all when you checked it? Is the noise coming from the vicinity of the power steering pump?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No work was done on the car. It just started making a whining when I turn the steering wheel. Over the last week or so, it has gotten louder and makes a whining when standing still but is much louder when turning the wheels. I checked the power steering fluid and it is full. I did not need to add any and have not added any.

Ok, make sure the fluid is full to the max mark on the stick. Sometimes the fluid can swirl in the reservoir and draw air if it's just slightly low. Otherwise it sounds like your pump may be failing. You could try flushing the system and it might help but if it doesn't I would say it will need a pump. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How much should it cost to flush the system? How much should a new pump cost to have a shop do it? I'm pretty good with cars, is it very difficult to install a new pump myself? Thanks for your help!!

A flush should cost around $100. It looks like a remanufactured pump is available from Mercedes for around $500, labor charges should be in the 2 hour range. I must apologize when I answered before I didn't think that your car had a separate reservoir for the power steering. I would replace the reservoir when I flushed the system. There is filter in the reservoir that can certainly cause the problem. The reservoir is $25 and about .5 hours to replace it. I've attached the instructions to replace the pump which also cover's the reservoir. Let me know if you have any questions.

Remove And Install Power Steering Pump

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, that gives me a starting point! Thanks for your help!

You're most welcome, good luck with it!