Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

40 amp fuse in a 30 amp slot for the cigarette lighter in my car???

Can I use a 40 amp fuse in a 30 amp slot for the cigarette lighter in my car???
HiCustomer with a fuse rating of 40 amps you are jumping to an amperage which is typically for heavier circuits. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Marty
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Worst case scenario if I used the fuse temporarily would it cause damage to my vehicle??
My first question would be why you are doing it. Did the 30 amp blow when you plugged something in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Actually upon the reccomendation of another technican....I was using a 35 amp fuse because the 30 kept blowing out frequently.....I was told that might help in reducing the frequency of which I was replacing fuses..he was right it did help to lengthern the intervals..but I took out my ipod charger and put it back in and the fuse blew...So I was wondering if I could use the 40 amp one until I purchased another 35 amp in a few days?

So is it only an iPod charger that you are connecting to the lighter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
correct
Ok, it sounds like you have a problem with the iPod charger. A charger like that shouldn't blow even the 30 amp fuse. I would not recommend continually taxing the circuit by using a fuse higher than the recommended rating. It's obvious that something is wrong. I would replace the charger. Worse case scenario something shorts out and melts the wiring harness and potentially catches fire. It's just not a good idea.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Many Thanks!
You're most welcome :-)