Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

2000 S500: strut..ABS light..the ESP and BAS malfunction is coming

Customer Question

I have a 2000 S500. Today I had the air strut replaced on the passenger front. Now the ABS light is on in the dash and the ESP and BAS malfunction is coming up on the disply. The ride is not right and the power assit on the steering seems weak therfore making the steering a bit hard. I've read in my manual that the ABS sensor will make these other two warnings come up and will shut down the ESP and BAS programs. How do I reset the ABS to where it will inturn let the other programs do what they are supposed too? Or is there something else needed?

TH
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

There is a hard fault stored in the ESP system. If disconnecting the battery and touching the positive and negative cables has not cleared the fault- the fault codes must be deleted with the scantool.

It will show which sesors or connections are faulty to determine precisely the cause. There are so many different sensors connected to the system, so it is not worth guessing.

But definately recheck the connections of the wheel speed sensor on the repaired wheel hub.

Regards,

Stan