Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I have a Mercedes C180 1999, W202.018 model, engine 111.921.When

I have a Mercedes C180 1999, W202.018 model, engine 111.921.When I take off the car is very slow to respond on the throttle. When I ascend an incline the engine becomes sluggish and does not pull very well. If I am static or going along the motorway I cannot get above 3500 revs with the throttle flat to the floor.I can get to speeds of 80 plus but do,nt get any kickdown when I try. I have changed the plugs,ignition coils, lambdda sensor, engine, air, fuel and pollen filters, but still the same.When the latest diagnostic reading was taken it read that it was showing multiple misfires.Can any one help.I have been told it maybe the EGRvalve,Camshaftsensor/ airsensor, but as it is an old car I don'tknow what direction to take.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer this sounds mostly like a restricted exhaust system. I would try removing the lambda sensor and testing for back pressure in the system. Next I would attach a fuel pressure gauge to the system and see if your fuel pressure is low and also perform a fuel volume test. Finally I'd consider a bad mass air flow sensor but I would expect to see fault codes relating to the fuel trim. I'd start with the exhaust first. Let me know if you have any questions.