Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

2003 e500: check engine light theres a leak (fumes) from it

I have an 2003 e500 with a check engine light on. Took it to the dealer and they told me there's a leak (fumes) from it. They diagnosed it as needing a shut off valve replacement. Given the cost of thiis 1> does this sound correct and 2> can I take it to a competent mechanic and have it fixed? What parts are involved? (of that was 3!)
Hi Mandrus Man, did they give you the fault codes? Were they referring to the canister shut off valve?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I didn't have the presence of mind to ask but they were refering to the canister sut off valve
Ok, the codes aren't that critical as long as you know they were referring to the canister shut off valve. The shut off valve and the regeneration valve are common problems. We often replace both if one fails in order to avoid comebacks. Msrp on the shut off valve is $169 and on the regeneration valve is $65. I would estimate 1.5 hours labor to replace the shut off valve and 0.5 hours labor to replace the regeneration valve. I would also add 1.0 hours labor to scan and erase faults and retest the system. Any Mercedes repair shop with the proper scan tool should be able to do the job.Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is the life of the canister? Is it cheaper/simpler to replace whole unit with valves?

Hi AB, I don't see too many canister failures (if any at all). The complete canister is about $450.00. I wouldn't replace it right now.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you recommend any repair shops in the northern new jersey area. When I check again with the dealer their pricesounds like a canister replacement.
Hi AB, I can't recommend any shops first hand but you can click on this link to the Bosch Car Service Center locater and enter your information and should be able to find a good Mercedes independent repair shop near you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks again eurotec, helpful as always! I'll be sure to provide customer feedback

Thanks AB, I'm glad to help.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Marty;
Would you take a look at my current question?

Hi AB, I don't see any open questions for you. Is this regarding the keyless go?