Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1989 300 CE RUBBER STRUT MOUNT REPLACEMENT HOW

1989 300 CE RUBBER STRUT MOUNT REPLACEMENT HOW ?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

You will want to take the struts out to get the mounts replaced. Here is what the data base has for that.

graphic

graphic

300CE, D, E, SD, SL & TE & 1992 300SE, EXCEPT 300E & TE w/4MATIC

The damper struts are simultaneously serving as deflection stops for the front wheels. Loosen damper strut attaching nuts and bolts only with vehicle wheels contacting floor.

1. Raise and support front of vehicle.
  2. Remove front wheel(s), Figs. 1 and 2.
  3. Install a suitable spring tensioner onto front spring. Place spring under tension until control arm is free of load. Insert spring tensioner plates of spring tensioner offset approximately 90°into front spring. Ensure at least seven and one-half spring coils are engaged between spring tensioner plates. Ensure webs of tensioning screw and guide sleeve are correctly seated in the two tensioning plate grooves.
  4. While supporting control arm assembly, loosen upper strut attaching nuts as follows:
    1. Using a suitable wrench, apply a counter-force to the piston rod.
    2. Do not use an impact wrench.
    3. Do not loosen nut with axle half fully unsprung.
    4. Ensure to support control arm.
  1. Loosen lower damper strut to steering knuckle attaching nuts. Using suitable wire, secure steering knuckle. Do not allow knuckle to hang.
  2. Remove strut from vehicle.
  3. Reverse procedure to install.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello: my replacement is the rubber strut mount located under the hood it has 3 nuts going up from the bottem to bolt it in then a tightning device attached to the very top of the strut. do i need to remove the whole strut to replace the rubber stop ? ( SUSPENSION STRUT SUPPORT )

THIS IS THE ITEM I AM ATTEMPING TO REPLACE
                &nb sp;                            ( SUSPENSION STRUT SUPPORT )

Yes, the upper strut mount, (bearing, support) is at the top and goes through the body. The strut would have to come out to do that. Number 10 in the diagram?

graphic

PartOEM PartPrice
Strut Mount, Strut Upper Mounting Bearing
Front
10 - Macpherson Strut Bearing Mount1243200730$126.00

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello and thank you for your help can you some how show me just what steps to follow to remove the strut ? i have no diagram to see just what is what you know just point me to what needs to accomplish the strut mount removal in laymen terms ? jack up car,remove wheels,place jack stands under ? ? i can do the work but i must know what it is i am doing. ok ? can you help with a request like this ? thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HELLO: THE PART BOX # XXXXX HAVE SAYS(NNN) NNN-NNNNSUSPENSION STRUT SUPPORT ARE WE ON THE SAME PAGE ?

Well, the part numbers will sometimes be different. Does it look like the #10 in the diagram? A hole in the center and a bearing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the thing is rubber with a hole in the top with three bolts going upward BUT NO BEARING ? so as i asked you in the prior emale can you please send a better description photo and written directions ? you know like a shop manual would describe to remove and to replace ? i am sorry to be such a pain in the ass but i have never attempted strut work before ? i just need a better photo and some directions and i will take care of you ok ?
I understand....just that the instructions that I sent are the only thing that I have at this time. Let me refer it to one of our best MB experts who may have more. Want to be sure that you have each step for the job. Thank you for your patience and good luck, sorry I didn't have more.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer do you have a tool to compress the coil spring with?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes sir i have access to a spring compressor and i thank you again sir and i await your more detailed instructions thank you.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
Ok, the hardest part about this job is compressing the coil spring. First you need to find out if the spring compressor tool you have will even attach to the spring. Most of the conventional tools will not work on the Mercedes. You will probably need the Mercedes tool that goes down through the center of the spring. If you are able to safely compress the spring the rest of the job is simple. Just unbolt the three bolts at the bottom of the strut that mount the strut to the spindle and then remove the three nuts on the top of the fender that mount your strut. Once removed from the car just remove your center nut on the strut mount and exchange the part. Reverse the procedure to install. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WELL GUYS THAT WASNT SO BAD ...?YOU WERE BOTH QUITE HELPFUL ,I WILL TELL YOU HOW I MADE THIS REPAIR ( STRUT MOUNT REPLACEMENT ) AND YOU GUYS DECIDE WHO'S ADVICE MADE THE DIFFERENCE OK ? I USED A FLOOR JACK ON THE A FRAME RIGHT UNDER THE SPRING JACKED THE CAR UP,APPLIED A JACK STAND FOR SECURITY ,UNBOLTED THE 3 BOLTS (AS SHOWN IN YOUR PHOTO )REMOVED THE MOUNT AND REASSEMBLED IT 123 EASY AS PIE I DO THANK YOU AND YOU KNOW I WILL RETURN FOR MORE POSITIVE ANSWERS IN THE FUTURE. PS. I AM A HOUSE PAINTER (LICENSED C-33 LOS ANGELES)OF 35 YEARS I KNOW ALL PHASES OF INTERIOR & EXTERIOR PAINT APPLICATION,I HAVE A VAST KNOWLEDGE OF MATERIALS ,LACQUERS,STAINS,ENAMELS THINNERS REDUCERS POLYURETHANE, TRIPOLLIMERS ETC PERHAPS IF SOMEONE NEEDS PAINTING ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME A SHOT AT IT ? IF YOU THINK YOU WANT THE REAL INFO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME ANY TIME 24-7 The Mark of Excellence painting /XXX@XXXXXX.XXX / XXX-XXX-XXXX
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer your method works fine but no expert would ever advise you to do it that way due to the safety and liability issues. I'll will admit I've done plenty that way over the years but is is a bit risky. I'm glad you got it done :-)

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you can you and the master mechanic split the deposit ? you were both helpful ok? thanks
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
I don't think we can do that once he's opted out of the question but he'll understand. We always try to help each other out.

Marty
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello expert i have a new: useing the button located near the battery i held for 3 seconds and recived 5 flashes what do the 5 flashes mean ? code is.....? of corse the flashes were on check engine light