MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

2006 r350 4matic: benz..I need to replace the front axle drive shafts

Have a 2006 r350 4matic benz. Grinding noise when turning suggests I need to replace the front axle drive shafts.
Please advice

There is a technical document from Mercedes relating to noises from the front axle caused by upper and or lower arm bushes.

Please see the details below to see if this fits in with your complaint

click on this link for a document containing photos: Suspension arm Photos

Best regards, Paul

Complaint

Grunting/creaking noises from the area of the front axle when braking or negotiating tight corners

Cause

The cause of the noise complaint may originate in various rubber mounts in the upper or lower control arm.

Rear rubber mount of lower control arm (1): In order to restrict the movement of the rubber mount when braking, an oval plastic stop plate is integrated in the rear rubber mount of the lower control arm on model series 164. When braking or cornering, this stop plate comes into contact with the rubber-lined outer sleeve and can cause grunting/creaking noises.

Front rubber mount of lower control arm (2): The rubber mount comes into contact with the body when braking and can cause grunting/creaking noises in model series 164 and 251.

Front rubber mount of upper control arm (3): The rubber mount comes into contact with the body when braking and can cause grunting/creaking noises in model series 164 and 251.

Remedy

As optimized rubber mounts are not available at the present time, replacing the rubber mount or the complete transverse control arm is not a long-term solution to this problem!

We therefore recommend treating the aforementioned rubber mounts on problem vehicles with wax.

The attached pictures show the points to be waxed on the individual mounts.

Apply the wax to the entire circumference of the mount.

To do this, it is best to use the spray lance supplied in order to apply the wax accurately.

In the event of complaints, treat all the aforementioned mounts to prevent future problems.

The rear mount of the lower control arm on model series 164 can only be treated when the vehicle is standing on its wheels. This is the only way to apply the wax accurately on the parts causing the problem.

Please observe the drying time of the wax: approx. 2 hours!

Please report any vehicles that suffer repeat problems after waxing of the mount, quoting the mileage since the repair, to your local MPC.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Paul all the blogs I've read have suggested replacing the shafts. The noise is not when braking, as you suggested but a metal on metal grinding noise when making sharp turns like when I leave my driveway every morning. Don't know how rubber mounts and waxing them as suggested would eliminate this specific metal on metal grinding noise. To me it sounds like ungreased damaged bearings. Now I'm confused.
Please advise.
Thanks,
Vince

Hi Vince,

I have discussed this at various Mercedes Technical meetings & is very common, we have seen 1 or 2 cases at our dealership. As the document suggests:

Complaint

It can make a noise when cornering tightly - the arms touch & rub causing the noise.

I would also inspect the brakes to make sure nothing is touching & rubbing on tight turns.

I have to be honest, we see quite a few R Class, ML & GL's & have not really come across a driveshaft problem?! If there are blogs on it then maybe there are issues - I would certainly investigate & eliminate the above first.

Best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Paul I'll wax as recommended but I'm not sure what type of wax your talking about and where to purchase it. Could you please help with the liquid wax your talking about?
Thanks,
Vince

Hi Vince,

Its a rather large can (Mercedes say sufficiant for up to 8 vehicles) & a Mercedes own part number: A000 986 33 70 10

This is what Mercedes say to use - it may be worth speaking to your dealer to see if they have any or if this type of repair is covered under any goodwill from Mercedes.

Best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Paul thanks for you recomendation. I'll do what you suggested and hopefully it will work.
Vince

Hi Vince,

I hope all goes well, it is certainly worth trying before replacing the driveshafts!

Let me know how you get on.

Best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Paul, sprayed as advised but noise is still there.

Vince

Hi Vince,

Thats a shame - we have had success with noises by doing this.

Did you speak to your dealer to see if there is any goodwill towards repairs for this complaint?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, there is no goodwill with them. They are the ones that told me to replace left front axle for $1400.00 and they just think that's the problem, they're not even sure that will take care of the noise.

Vince

Hi Vince,

Noises like this are hard to confirm at times - Im not sure what schemes the have in the US but at MB UK we can order parts on "loan" - if the problem is not cured we can send the parts back (even after fitting).

Either that or we would swap the parts from a donor vehicle to test to ensure we have the correct part - it may be worth enquiring if they can do this for you.

I would phone MBUSA also, we tend to get more goodwill decisions from customers that have lodged a complaint!

Best regards, Paul