Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

RADIO UNLOCK CODE AND INSTRUCTIONS

RADIO UNLOCK CODE AND INSTRUCTIONS
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer does your radio say CODE or does it have 4 dash lines (- - - -) across the face?

Marty
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
4 DASH
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Ok, you have an early radio that did not have the feature for entering a code to get the radio out of anti theft mode. The only way to turn your radio back on is to have the radio plugged into the Mercedes special tool to be "relatched". The Mercedes dealerships and Becker of North America are the only ones who have the tool. In the past the the Mercedes dealers would relatch the radios as a customer courtesy, I'm not sure if your's will still do it. I would call your local dealer and ask. I've attached some information below that may be of interest to you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

TO: XXXXX XXXXX PASSENGER CAR DEALERS

DATE: MARCH 1990

SUBJECT:
RECODING MODEL YEAR 1986 THROUGH MODEL YEAR 1989 BECKER RADIOS

Mercedes-Benz dealers will now be able to record scrambled Becker radios in their service departments with an electronic CODE key.

Each Mercedes-Benz dealer, Zone FSM/FDM, and Technical Specialist will be assigned an electronic CODE key. Assignment of the CODE key at the dealer-level should be made to a responsible individual who is fully familiar with the recoding procedure policy as outlined herein. This policy will be enforced by our Zone and Service Managers through the respective FSMs, ensuring that the benefits of the theft-deterrent system are maintained.

MBNA Policy Statement - Becker CODE Key

-Each recipient of a CODE key shall maintain the integrity of MBNA's Theft-Deterrent System and report all misuses to their respective Zone Parts and Service Manager.

-Only radios installed in Mercedes-Benz vehicles proven by registration to belong to the customer requesting the recoding service shall be recoded.

-All other cases shall be referred to Becker of North America.

-CODE key use is limited to Mercedes-Benz Dealer and Zone personnel.

-Only model year 1986 - 1987 radios that scramble during their warranty period shall be exchanged following normal warranty handling procedures. All other radios should be recoded.

Acceptance of this policy is verified by the Becker CODE Key Receipt Voucher (MBNA/MBC 2403) which must be signed upon receipt of the CODE key. The Becker CODE Key Receipt Voucher should be completed by the person assigned to keep the key in a safe place, preferably the Service Manager. The voucher form should not be signed until the respective person has received the key has entered the key serial number in the space provided. The dealer representative signing must also be listed as a full time manager, as per the fourth paragraph of the Mercedes-Benz Passenger Car Dealer Agreement. The responsible FSM shall co-sign the voucher as proof that he has instructed the dealer representative or proper CODE key handling procedures. Once the key has been assigned and the voucher has been completed, the Home Office Parts Department distribution copy should be returned to Parts Technical, MBNA.

Should the person assigned to keep the CODE key terminate his employment at the dealer, the key must be surrendered to the Field Service Manager and a new receipt voucher must be completed by the CODE key's new recipient. A new receipt voucher must also be completed if the CODE key is replaced for any reason.

PLEASE NOTE :ONLY ONE KEY WILL ALLOCATED PER DEALER FREE-OF-CHARGE. THE CODE KEY REMAINS THE PROPERTY OF MBNA AND MAY BE RECLAIMED IF IT IS USED CONTRARY TO THE "MBNA POLICY STATEMENT - BECKER CODE KEY". DEFECTIVE KEYS WILL BE EXCHANGED FREE-OF-CHARGE UNLESS DAMAGED BY ABUSE. REPLACEMENT COST DUE TO LOSS OR ABUSE IS $500.00 REPLACEMENT KEYS MST BE ORDERED THROUGH THE RESPECTIVE ZONE OFFICE.

Instructions for using the CODE key are included with the key. These instructions detail the recoding procedure and should be memorized by the key holder and then stored in a safe location, ensuring an extra measure of security.

As previously stated, only Model Year 1986-87 radios that scramble while still under warranty should be exchanged through the warranty system. This will ensure that as many of our owners as possible end their vehicle's warranty period with recently serviced radios. Out-of-warranty Model Year 1986-87 radios and all Model Year 1988-1989 radios may be recoded at the dealer after the vehicle's radio/ATA circuits have been under warranty which cannot be recoded shall be so indicated in the text field of the respective warranty claim.

Repeat Radio Scrambling

Customers with vehicles out-of-warranty, who complain of repeated radio scrambling when the radio is removed from power, should be advised that their radio's internal backup battery should be replaced. Recoding of radios with discharged backup batteries will only provide temporary results. If a long-term solution to this condition is desired, the radio should be repaired under the Becker radio post-warranty exchange program. Becker will replace the radio's internal backup battery (For details please refer to S.I. MBNA 82/37 February 1989).

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SHALL I JUST REPLACE THE RADIO
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
You don't need to replace it but if you wanted to upgrade to a nicer radio with more features you could certainly do that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer I can refer your question to another one of our experts if you'd like. What would you like the second opinion on? Whether or not you should replace the radio? There is no alternative to the recoding process.

Marty

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
Maybe I didn't understand your question regarding replacement. Do you have concerns about having the radio relatched?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I PURCHASE THE CAR A MONTH AGO WANT TO IF IT WOULD JUST BE EASY TO REPLACE THE RADIO

Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
If you don't mind me continuing with you I can offer you more advice on that. Has the radio ever worked since you bought it? Would you be happy with it if it would work or are you interested in upgrading to a unit with a CD player?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
UPGRADING,BUT I HAVE NO RADIO FOR NOW THE 4DASHES WAS THERE WHEN I PURCHASED
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
Ok, the reason for the dash marks is probably because the car battery went dead before you bought it. That was the problem with those cars and was a big nuisance for the car owner. I have a lot of customer's who upgrade to a newer unit with a CD. If the Mercedes dealer will relatch your radio at no charge you could do that and take your time in upgrading but if they are going to charge you I'd sooner put that money towards a new unit. Any car stereo shop or a Best Buy store can upgrade you for around $250.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK U VERY MUCH
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

You are quite welcome :-)

Marty