Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

2001 E320: The check engine light..periodically..few minutes

The check engine light in 2001 E320 periodically comes on and then will begin to turn over but not start. After a few minutes all is fine. Has happend several times. Suggestions? Think manuel connects this to air filter.

Does the car doesn't start mustly when the car is hot?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello Nelson,

Usually doing around town driving/ running errands. Not hot here ( bay area) and only driving 20 minutes at a time. The light will then go off and many days will have no problem. Seems to be occuring more frequently
Well the engine gets hot quicky in 20 minutes the engine is operating at proper temperature.
I bolieve that you have a problem with the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR.
This sensor fail when the engine gets hot.But I recomend checking the fault codes in the Engine control module 1st.
Once you have the codes is easier to diagnose.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I check the fault codes? I could check them quickly and supply that information to you. I would be happy to pay more for this help. wyn
You need a scanner to plug in under the drivers under dash.there you will see a plastic cap covering the OVD connector connect the scanner to it and read the codes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this something that can only be checked by a mechanic? Can a scanner be purchased at auto parts store. Is there anything else it could be _ air filter issue possible?

Hi Wyn, what nelson was telling you was correct. You may very well have a faulty crankshaft position sensor but it is very important to have the fault codes read before anything is replaced. You cannot read the fault codes without a scan tool. They sell code readers like the ones here on Amazon if you want to read them yourself. Your problem will not be your air filter but it could be your air mass sensor but once again, no parts should be replaced until a diagnostic scan is performed and the faults are analyzed. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.