Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1991 Mercedes: SL..The drivers side window is stuck..windowswitch

Hi

I have a 1991 Mercedes SL 500. The driver's side window is stuck in the down position.
The window switch won't raise it.
Also, it won't raise when raising the soft-top from the down position (which, for this car, raising both windows is automatic when you raise the top)
There is no sound (motor churning) when pushing the switch

I have a friend who is a mechanic and he's wondering if there is an electronic control somwhere the would control this. What's the different troubleshooting options?

thanks
HiCustomer the first thing you need to do is replace fuse #1 and #2 in the trunk fuse box. If that doesn't help the window circuit is controlled by way of the soft top control module. You can either swap window switches side to side or access the module underneath the passenger's side rear floor section and do your input and output testing there. I've attached a diagram below. M10/3 is your driver's window motor. S21/1 is your driver's window switch.

Marty

graphic