Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have 1997 E420 and need to add small amount of transmission

I have 1997 E420 and need to add small amount of transmission fluid. Can I do without special equipment?
HiCustomer you'll need a dipstick to properly check the level. If you are only talking about less than a pint you can probably guesstimate the amount. You can fabricate your own dipstick out of an outer lawnmower cable. The full mark at operating temperature is 65mm from the bottom of the cable. You just insert the cable until it bottoms out on the pan. Make sure you use Mercedes transmission fluid. Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Wher do you insert the "dip stick"??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Agian, where is the "dip stick" inserted and is the fluid addedd at that same location? Thanks

The dipstick tube is at the passenger's side rear of the engine. You check and fill from the tube. I've attached instructions below.

Marty

Checking Transmission Fluid Level