Victor MB
Victor MB, ASE & MercedesBenz Master Certified
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Mercedes Benz Master Certified, 8 years Dealership Training and Experience

Mercedes SL500: a banging in the gas tank..baffles..loose

I have an 04 Mercedes SL500 and have a banging in the gas tank. I see from the forum that there is a problem with baffles breaking loose in the tank.   Is this repairable or does the tank just need to be replaced? Is it possible to remove the debris without replacing the tank?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Victor MB replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately you are correct. The baffles in the fuel tank break loose and make that noise you are hearing. You may also be able to hear a swooshing noise coming from the fuel tank. There is no repair besides replacing the fuel tank. And this job is one of the worst to perform (even in the shop) as it takes the average tech with some experience around 1.5 days to complete. Surprised I would almost say replacing the engine or transmission would be easier! Let me know if you have further questions. Thanks!