Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified

1999 e320: there is a oil leak..hesitates..4000 rpm..lose power

there is a oil leak in my 1999 e320. the car sometimes hesitates on start and aslo stutters at 4000 rpm or higher and starts to lose power. what can i do about this?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a check engine light on? You could have various problems. More info is needed for me to help you. While the car is in for the recall you can have them look over the vehicle. Sometimes they offer free checks see if they offer anything like this. Or if you don't want to diagnose your self. Ask them to do an oil change and most of the time they will look over the vehicle to try and sell you work anyways. Then you will get free diagnosis. If you want me to further assist you so you can check things let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i would like for you to further assist me on a personal basis. what can i do o overcome the hesitation the car has while in speed. this happens sometimes and all the time if 4000 rpm or above.
Before anything you need to determine whether you have a transmission leak or an engine oil leak. Trans fluid is more red. Secondly the balancer recall is there because the balancer rubber component in between the two pieces of metal starts to seperate. This cause the motor to be unbalanced and may cause a vibration as rpm increase. If the balancer is very bad you will see it wobble and will score the front engine cover and lower oil pan causing an oil leak. I would say this is the most important thing to take care of first since it may solve all of your problems.

If that's not the vibration you are feeling then it would need to be detemined whether it is a engine vibration (occurs when at a stop but with increased rpm) or while driving.

If misfires were causing vibration the engine light should be on. Also be aware with increased rpm if the catalytic converters are clogged they would cause backpressure and cause engine to hessitate.(good way to check would be the cats would get red when very hot.)

as you can see there are different senarios it is not cut and dry. Some effort on you part will be neccessary to diagnose the problem since I can not see feel or smell the vehicle.