MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

Mercedes: A 160 semi auto ESP/BAS + ABS light..idel..junction..lurch

`hi mercedes A 160 semi auto ESP/BAS + ABS light comes on for no apparent reason, some times they come on when you start the car other times they come on when you brake hard or give it some wellie, but when they do come on the idel speed increases witch is a real pain when you stop at a junction as the car wants to lurch forward

Hi Harry,

That is a little strange, we see a lot of A Class here & that is not a common issue from what you are describing!

First thing I will need is the car to be checked for fault codes - have you done this yet?

If not you will need to have the car checked & let me know what codes are stored.

Let me know how you get on.

Best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i havent had any fault codes checked as my local mercedes dealer cant be bothered to deal with you if you dont wear a suit and drive a slk or something. anyway this only started happening after i had to drop the engine to rectify a startermotor problem. any way will get it checked for fault codes somewhere. harry
Hi Harry,

Were not all like that in dealers! Sorry your experience has been that way.
If you can find a good independant then many have dealer level or near dealer level diagnostic equipment now days.

If you can find someone to check then please post the faults stored & I will take a look.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hi there have had a diagnostic done and thease are the fault codes i have been given

c 1200 brake saftey switch (redundancey)plausibility

070300 can signal brake light switch not plausible

Hi Harry,

Well a faulty stop lamp switch is a very common problem for putting the ESP/BAS/ABS lights on, but have not had one that affects the idle speed.

They are very cheap & easy to replace (located above the brake pedal & simply a twist fit).

I would start by replacing the switch & see if any faults re-occour after this.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

well just to let you know replaced stop lamp switch and it compleatly cured the problem it hasnt done it for two weeks now cheers XXXXX XXXXX help

Hi Harry,

Great news! Glad it has sorted your problem.

Very best regards, Paul