Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2002 clk430: the Service B light comes on how do I reset it..trip

I recently purchased a 2002 CLK 430, the Service B light comes on how do I reset it. i live about 85 miles from the nearest dealer and I am trying to keep from having to make a special trip.

HiCustomer I've attached the procedure below. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Marty

graphic

graphic

Following a completed A or B service the Mercedes-Benz Center sets the counter mileage to 10,000 miles (Canada: 15,000 km) and 365 days.

The counter can also be set by any individual. To do so:

Turn the electronic key in steering lock to position 2. To call up the trip odometer and main odometer, press button 3 or 4 on the multifunction steering wheel until the display appears.

Press button 5 or 6 until the FSS indicator appears.

Press button "R" on the instrument cluster for approximately 4 seconds.

The multifunction display will show the question:

"DO YOU WANT TO RESET SERVICE INTERVAL? - CONFIRM BY PRESSING R"

Press button "R" on the instrument cluster again for approximately 4 seconds, and hold until a signal sounds. The message "SERVICE INTERVAL HAS BEEN RESET" appears in the multifunction display.

The new service indicator is displayed with the reset distance of 10,000 miles (Canada 15,000 km).

If the FSS counter was inadvertently reset, have a Mercedes-Benz Center correct it.

However you choose to set your reference numbers, the scheduled services as posted in the Service Booklet must be followed to properly care for your vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THE ANSWER I WAS GIVEN DIDN'T WORK I SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED

HiCustomer let's see if we can get this figured out. Where are you getting stuck?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

the answer you gave me did not work FSS never appeared it the window

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

CAN SOMEONE CONTACT ME BY PHONE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IS ANYONE THERE?

Sorry but our contact has to remain here within the website.

Let's try again. Before you begin I want you to get in the car and close the doors. Don't put the key in the ignition yet. I want you to wait until the instrument cluster display turns off. Then insert the key and begin the procedure. The FSS display is the picture of the wrench.

Let me know if that helps.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I did what you suggested. i sat in the car with the doors colsed and waited until the display went off . I turned the key to the position and began the procedure as instructed when the display Service B exceeds 13 days with the wrenches appears i would hold the R buttom down and after about five seconds it goes back to the trip/mileage display

Ok, I think I've given you instructions for an earlier system. I'll put together a different procedure and post it shortly.

Marty

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there are two wrenches in the display window if that matters but it only says service B

Ok, I've attached the procedure below in PDF format. Page 3 covers the steps to reset the service reminder. Your steering wheel is pictured on page 2. You have a 208 chassis. Start the same way with the doors closed and the cluster asleep. Then scroll around to the mileage or temperature screen even if you're already there when you turn the key on. Let me know how it goes.

Marty

Reset Maintenance Reminder

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Marty thanks for your help I am not going into detail but I wasn't turning the key far enough. I did get it cleared thanks for your help sorry to have been such a bother

No bother at all rjohnson. I'm glad you got it reset :-)

Marty