MBGuru
MBGuru, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  25 years on MB, diagnostic tech and trainer.
7023112

CLK soft-top roof wont open. Windows go down but no action

Customer Question

CLK soft-top roof won't open. Windows go down but no action on the softtop. Trunk cover is located properly and switch is working.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Hi exclusive, is the soft top switch blinking slow or fast?

Marty

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About once per second
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
Ok, are the rear headrests up or down?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Down
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is only one click like a relay coming from the trunk area when we try to operate roof. No noise from motors operating etc. Windows operate normally down at beginning of sequence and up again if you lock down roof.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
I'd go ahead and close everything back up and raise the roll bars. Then open the roof and see if the roll bars lower on their own. We're trying to see where in the sequence we're getting stuck. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Operating it according to handbook (and a reasonable amount of experience with these!) we get as afr as when the headrests should be lowered but they don't. They do operate normally with the switch on the dash.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Ok, let me look at some sequence charts and schematics. I'm a little busy at work right now. I'll reply asap.

Marty

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for that
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Good morning exclusive, I'm sorry to say but I'm suffering from a lack of information on this one. I thought I could pull up a sequence chart on the top operation but there's nothing in the Mercedes WIS. There apparently is a separate CD documenting the operation sequence (which I've ordered). I don't have any first hand knowledge on this one so I'm going to opt out and let some of the other experts have a look at the question. Perhaps they've seen the exact symptoms. Obviously the controller is not seeing one of the switches early in the sequence. If I discover anything I'll post an answer later.

Marty

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I was hoping to find the first switch and/or relay in the sequence like you say. Am going to do some stripping to find the lock for the tonneau cover release to check if it has failed. Also going to check the microswitch for the headrest position - do you know where it is located. Thanks so far and await response if someone else takes up the challenge or your CD arrives! Thanks again. Hugh.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Hi Hugh, I received a PM from my friend Paul in the UK on this. I've attached what he suggested. Let me know how you make out.

Hi Marty,

Have seen a couple of issues with the relay attached to the roof pump - it sounds like the relay is being energised if that is what he is hearing, but may not be outputting the feed to the pump.

As a simple test I would ask him to swap out the relay first to see if this is indeed the cause - they tend to burn the contacts out.

Best regards, Paul

Expert:  MBGuru replied 5 years ago.
01 CKL but it is a Euro car correct?

r208 or r209 chassis?

either way, are the windows sync'd and do the lower when you start the top process? On the 209 the rear regulators will fail and the glass will fail to drop enough to allow top operation.

On the 208, the relay contacts for the pump smoke. the relay enguages but does not provide full battery voltage to the pump. Pump access on a 208 is no fun, its like pulling armor off a tank. Remove the spare and trunk trim, remove the big alloy plate forward of the spare. 20 + 10mm head bolts holding it in place. Pump is behind that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have removed the covers and located the relay, it is working. The headrests are not dropping when the roof switch is operated but will work with their own switch. I disconnected the ecu and reconnected it again, the roof was in a midway position and it moved toward the full open position but then stopped again. It is a 208 chassis
Expert:  MBGuru replied 5 years ago.
Ok, you need codes on it. also, resync the windows. Run them all the way down, press and hold the button 3 times until you hear the motor cycle off. Do the same with the rears. Make sure the cargo cover is in place as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cargo cover is in place, what codes do I need and where do I find them, could I be looking at replacing ecu?
Expert:  MBGuru replied 5 years ago.
SDS is required to gather code information on that one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I reset windows, tried roof operation with rear headrests lowered, soft top latch released and raised rear window, cover of storage compartment did not lift and operation stopped. Rear window lowered back into place and locked and roof operation shut down again completely. Should the windows have auto closure, they will only open on 1 touch, switch has to be held to close them?
Expert:  MBGuru replied 5 years ago.
01 might be coded for auto open only. Either way, if it makes it that far then odds are there is either a microswitch issue or a harness issue. I've repaired a couple harnesses for the cover lid on the right side under the cover, where the hinge is the harness fails from the flex. Worth a look.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help with this, I eventually found the micro switch on the right hand side of the roof had fallen apart and located all the bits behind the panel trim
Expert:  MBGuru replied 5 years ago.
Good deal, glad you found it. Which switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was the switch at the roof pivot on the right hand side. It's a long slide with a micro switch at the bottom of it, attaches onto the hydrolic ram
Expert:  MBGuru replied 5 years ago.
Yep, same basic switch fails on the 209 chassis cars as well. Interesting lace to put a switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One final query, Is there a sequence to set basic settings on the roof? It is operating but cuts ou, turning off and on ignition resets it
Expert:  MBGuru replied 5 years ago.
No, it must still have a problem with something. Anyway you can get codes from RST?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a friend bringing a computer over to me tonight, hopefully it will be able to get codes
Expert:  MBGuru replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, codes are the only way you are going to find out exactly what this is now.