Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified
15772482

Instructions how to lower top of 2002 Mercedes Benz SLK 320

Customer Question

Instructions how to lower top of 2002 Mercedes Benz SLK 320 hardtop convertible
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 5 years ago.
Are you trying to get it to operate properly or manually lower it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Operate properly. I just obtained this auto. The red button just blinks when I pull it back. I have no owner's manual. If I could manually lower the top, that would be of help also - but automatic even better.
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.

welcome to just answer. Here is the procedure. if you accept please hit the green payment tab. bonuses are always appreciated thank you.

Starting point: Vario roof not actuated in open position.
Ignition: ON
Pushing the Vario roof switch to the front actuates the hydraulic unit via the combination control module.
The Vario roof opening sequence is subdivided into 6 steps, steps 4 through 6 being accomplished irrespective of the vehicle speed.

Step 1:Unlock Vario roof.
Unlock and open trunk lid
Roll down front power windows (switch-off with lock-up current)
Step 2:Close Vario roof
Step 3:Lock Vario roof
Close and lock trunk lid
Step 4:Continue locking (for t = 3 s )
Roll up rear power windows (for t = 3 s )
Step 5:Roll up rear power windows (for t = 0.3 s )
Step 6:Roll up front power windows

It seems you are having a problem with a code being triggered. Did you check for codes at a dealer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is a 2002 SLK 320 hard top convertible. I can not find a way to "unlock the rood."

So, I can not follow the rest of the procedures you listed. Please advise how to

"unlock the roof."

To unlock the roof you will have to remove the upper contol panel where the dome light is and there should be a bolt you use the Allen tool that should have come with you vehicle to release the front latches. You must also use the same tool to release the pressure in the pump to operate manually. There should be an access port hole in the trunk but against where the seat backs would be. Insert to and feel it slide in you can't see it. Then loosen it counter clockwise a turn to release pressure.

Goodluck
Nelson
Remember to select accept so I recieve credit
Feedck and bonus appreciated. Thanks
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience: 6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified