Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified
15772482

99 s500 stalls, codes P1519, P0100, P1386

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 5 years ago.
Have you checked or replaced the maf sensor recently?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, Don't want to throw $575.00 at it without more testing, will do more tests if you don't come up with an obvious diagnosis.
Do you have a description of the codes. If you do it will help me right now because I'm on a PDA. I can get more info for you tnight at 11 30 if not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

P1519 Right adjustable camshaft timing solinoid (logic chain) P0100 MAF circuit malfunction

P1386 Knock sensor control from ECM at end stop

In that order

Sorry I took so long to respond. I got some advise from my shop Forman for you problem. He was telling me that the plunger and cam adjustment mechanism usually gets damaged on this engine and you will have to remove the timing chain to fix this problem. He says you can try to replace the cam adjustment actuator on the outside of the motor as a preliminary fix to see if it does anything but he can't make any promises. It would be cheaper to try this first but again it may not fix it and you will have to perform the other repair if not. This is a big time consuming job if you want to do it yourself just be aware.

Regards
Nelson
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this going to all codes?
It's for p1519 but I would handle this code first because the cam timing can cause knocking of the motor triggering knock codes. Also check for sludge in the motor form old oil when you perform the repairs. Clean as necessary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry , I,m kind of busy & had the flu all week. I ordered the solinoid cause it didn't sound as snappy as the l/s solinoid, will arrive monday and install to see if it makes any difference, I promise i won't stiff you, but i want to make sure i'm done with you first.
No problem I understand. I just send the email every once in a while to all that haven't paid especially at the end of the month, but that's fine. Either way if you pay now or later it doesn't make a difference I will still help you with this question as long as you do not close it.

Talk to you soon and feel better
Nelson
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Experience: 6 Years Mercedes Benz Dealer Technician, 5 Years Master Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So i replaced cam adjuster solinoid & checked the plunger when i had it apart everything looked ok, as i was positioning car on the hoist it died 3 times so i could put a scanner on it & watch the MAF sensor signal as it died, so i put a MAF on & that seems to have cured all issues, Thanks for your help, Rob
Your welcome. Please add feedback.