Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2003 Mercedes Benz SL500 with starting problems.

I have a 2003 Mercedes Benz SL500 with starting problems. When I turn the key, I get a few clicks but the engine won't turn over. Previously if this happened, I would turn the key a few times and eventually it would start. Now it won't start at all after several attempts. Incidentally, I just replaced both batteries and they are fully charged. I am just off warranty and don't won't to get hit with a huge bill from the MB dealer.

HiCustomer can you tell if the clicks you are hearing are coming from the starter?

Marty

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There seems to be 2 clicks. A loud one comes from under the black plastic cover on the top of the engine and a softer click seems to come from behind the starter battery under the dash but from under the hood side (facing the car deep laft side)
Ok, I have to run my son to a scout meeting right now. I'll reply with some thoughts when I return.

Marty

Ok, the only correct way to test for the problem is to perform some voltage tests at the starter or the starter relay (pictured) can be bypassed to see if the starter operates. It sounds like you have a bad starter. The loud click being the starter solenoid. Due to the tip starting system that you have sometimes the teeth on the flywheel can be lubricated and it cures the problem. If this problem started only after the battery was replaced I would clean and reheck my cable connections. A new (remanufactured) starter runs in the $350.00 range. Labor to test the circuit and replace the starter would be about 3 hours. If you'd like to know how to bypass the starter relay I can help you. You will need a fused jumper wire. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your response. Is it possible that I could have a starter relay problem only, and is there any way to check that out before I have to take it in for a voltage test?

Also, how do I lubricate the flywheel? Thanks

Yes it is possible that it's only a bad relay. You can bypass the relay for testing but you'll need a fused jumper wire. If you pick up an inline 10 amp fuse holder at an auto parts store it makes a good jumper. You can crimp the appropriate ends on the jumper to plug into the relay box. The starter needs to be removed in order to lubricate the teeth of the flywheel. If you want to bypass the relay let me know and I'll look up which terminals we need to jump. FYI, if the loud click is coming from the starter then your relay is ok.

Marty