Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1995 Mercedes 300D Diesel. Will not start. Battery is good.

I have a 1995 Mercedes 300D Diesel. Will not start. Battery is good. Will start if I jump the terminals on the solenoid and the starter. I replaced the neutral safety switch and it still will not start, why?

HiCustomer we're going to need to do some testing. Do you have a test light?

Marty

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes, I have a regular 12v test light and an ohm meter

Thanks,

Ok, I'm going to give you some things to check but you'll need to place your deposit in order to view the instructions. If you're comfortable doing that I'll upload the instructions for you. Let me know.

Marty

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, its not a problem. I would love to give this a whirl and get the car fixed. If it works, what a great resource. So thanks for your help--I hope God blesses you today!

Thank you! Ok, we're going to start simple first. I'd like you to check the fuses in the fuse box under the hood. Fuse #5 should be for the starter relay. Let's remove and inspect the fuse and if it's good reinstall it. Then see if the car starts. It's a good idea to check all of the fuses in the box. They are prone to making poor connections at their tips. Let me know what you find.

Marty

Hi Mike, I see you got it going. Did you touch the fuses at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have never used this service before so I am not sure exactly how it works. Is it $15 a question answered? The fuses were good but I went to start it and it was OK--it started. Prior to replacing the neutral safety switch it did it before--took it to shop where it sat then started. Shop guy told me sometimes the switches will do that and that it would probably be OK. got it home and it did it again, put the new NS switch on and it would not start last night. Now it starts, the fuse for that is I believe #7 (16 amp). Number 5 was cruise control which looked OK but I just replaced all the 8 amp white fused because they were old. Perhaps it was the fuse as I did replace it. If so I am just glad its running so thank-you.

The #5 fuse said stop lamp, instrument, front roof light, and electric bulb control unit, cruise control and tachometer Would that still be for the starter relay even if it was not listed? I would like to use you again when I have problem if that's possible, Is it?

Hi Mike, if you remove fuse #5 and the car won't start you'll know for sure. It's hard to know which fuse sometimes due to the production change. That's why I like to just recommend a complete fuse box service. In addition to that there are fuses for the anti-theft that can also cause a no start. You can request my help in the future when posting a question but I've found the best way is to request me in the heading of your question. I'm glad you got it going and if you need more help with it let me know.

Marty

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hey Marty, thanks alot. I will sign out here I guess and try to figure out how this service works. Seems like the car will probably give me some periodic problems. I am going to go out and get some fuses now and replace all of them just to be safe.

Again, God Bless you for helping me Marty. You really saved the day!

Respectfully,

You're welcome Mike. I'm glad I could help :-)

Marty