Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My gas cap is stuck - turns round and round will not come off.

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer there's no trick to it, you just have to get lucky. There is a plastic piece that rotates out of position and causes the problem. Try locking the cap again and then pressing in firmly as you rotate the cap very slowly. Sometimes you have to get one side free and then the other. Try pulling out on one side while you rotate. Keep playing with it and you'll get it off. You will need to replace the cap when you do. You can rotate the white plastic piece back around to line up with the metal ears but it will rotate out of place again. Let me know how you make out.

Marty

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's as tight as can be and I have tried turning it counter clockwise and clockwise - it loosens and tightens. I will do anything I can even pry it out if possible as I have no gas and am stuck - don't even know if I have enough gas to make it to a dealership and it's a Sat morning and I am in a panic. I desperately need to get gas and be everywhere today. My daughter needs to be at her SAT Class at 8:30 and I am in a panic..my only source of transportation. Can I pry it out? My husband out of country and I have limited resources...
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
I am so sorry that you're having trouble. I wish I had a better solution for you but there just isn't one. When the caps fail they are very difficult to get free. What you don't want to do is damage the filler neck of the tank. Better to call a cab or a friend for transportation and tow the car to the repair shop.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand the technicians are trying to help - but "getting lucky" or getting my car towed and calling a cab or friend is not what I call a solution to the problem. I finally pried it with a screwdriver and my hand is swollen from twisting and turning it. I would try this site again -but don't think those kinds of answers are worth $15.00. Thanks for the help anyway.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer unfortunately there are some problems that just aren't technical in nature and this was one of them. You probably realize that now that you've removed the cap. Rather than ignore your request for help I felt it was better to reply to you with the assurance that you were doing all that you could to remove the cap even though I knew I couldn't offer you any more than that. Using excessive force can damage the filler neck and could result in the cap not sealing thus putting on the check engine light and requiring the tank to be replaced. Your second reply turned the question of the cap into a desperate plea to make an appointment. I tried to offer you a clearheaded solution to your problem. Ultimately you are never under any obligation to click Accept for the advice that was given but please know that most of the experts on this site truly want to help you solve your problem. I'm glad you finally go it removed :-)

Regards,

Marty