MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

98 slk 230 top wont go down

Customer Question

98 slk 230 top won't go down
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 7 years ago.

The light flashing on the switch means there is a fault in the system.
If nothing is working then the first thing I would check is the luggage cover is fully extended in the boot - make sure it is fully located in the stops & that the switch is engaged (see attached picture for location of switch)

Make sure the switch is clicking when pressed - if not it could be a faulty microswitch that needs replacing.

Theres not really much that can be done without guessing, & would recommend having the vehicle checked on a diagnostic tool that has the ability to read actual values as there are switches located all over the roof!

Let me know if you need any further information.

Best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My cousin works runs a BMW shop, if he plugs my car in will he be able to diagnos the prob with the codes? I just can't pay for a MB dealer to fix it. My dad has done a lot of work to it..easy stuff like brakes, etc...but he's not very good at electronic stuff. The windows do go up 1/2 way when I push the switch twice..does that mean anything

Expert:  MB Paul replied 7 years ago.

It depends on the faults stored & what he can test with his diagnostic tool.

Sometimes the fault code is specific & will point to a specific switch - other times it will just store a generic "limit switch" code & you would need a tool that can also see actual values of the switches to see what status each switch is set to.

Did you check the luggage cover switch?

There are also some switches for the trunk that you could check - it must be something early in the roof cycle if nothing at all is happening.

See attached pictures for trunk switches.

I could also upload a diagnostic guide for you to refer to if you would like - this shows whitch switches are related to each step.

Best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sure, if you could upload the guide also..there's a door under that switch you mentioned that has a big black fuse...any chance it 's that or the big black fuse on the motor? If it is the switch you mentioned first, how do you get it out!! lol

Expert:  MB Paul replied 7 years ago.

Diagnostic guide attached: Vario roof diagnosis

You need to remove the large rear panel to gain access to the switch - before you do that, was the blind fully engaged in the end of the runners? Can you hear the switch clicking?

As said there are just too many things that can be causing this to start pulling the car apart without knowing what faults are in the system!

At this stage I would just ensure the switch actually feels good & clicks when operated - if all feels good then a diagnostic check is going to be needed to see what codes are stored.

Best regards, Paul