Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years of in the Motor Trade as diagnostic Technician and general repair work.

mercedes benz: revving..looses power..2 gear box

Customer Question

my A class(NNN) NNN-NNNN is revving up on its own when i am driving, it also looses power when i try to move off from junctions. feels as though it will just stop. 2 mechanics including mecedes benz cannot be 100 per cent with what is wrong, and are reluctant to fix incase what they suggest does'nt cure the car.a new gear box was mentioned. both mechanics had 17/18 faults read out from computer . can u help sorry meant to mention that it is an automatic transmission
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Can I just ask you -- to be sure - Is this an Auto model ?

Too - do you have a note of what the fault codes retrieved are??

Once I have this info - I will be in a better position to help you ..

Kind Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

sorry mike, yes it is automatic transmission

ok i'll try my best with the codes

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hi there -- Ok... Well - I did ask didn't I ! ?!

Ok you will have ot give me some time to work through these codes and then I will get back to you asap....

Hope thats ok... Best Rgds. MIKE
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanx mike
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have recieved an email that says mike is no longer working on this problem but lots of other experts are, is this true or am im wasting efforts?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
HI there --- This is MIKE

No dont worry -- this is a glitch in the system .,.. Im still here and will be until we get to the bottom of it ;)

In all honesty - it may be tomorrow before I get back to you with all this - but I just wanted to let you know I am indeed still with you !

Dont worry and I will get back to you asap...

Rgds.. MIKE ;)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

that's great

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hi again..... Okay I have been looking at all these codes for you ...

They are quite an array covering all the systems of the car!

What I would honestly suggest you do here - is have someone connect the code reader on to the car -- clear down the ecu ( computer) ie, clear out all those fault codes - and then re run the car around for a day or so.

Then have the codes read again... Theres a very good chance that most of them will stay gone ...and that is what should happen.

If that doesn't happen and they all come back - then I feel its likely that you have a faulty ecu ...and the next best step would be to send that off to be tested / repaired. There are companies that do these tests / repairs as needed such as the Network 500 machine test work machines or others -- if you need a contact number I can give you one -- but do the procedure as above first.

Its certainly not normal for an ecu to have all these codes in it and it does point toward either system wide failure ( which is not at all likely ) or someone disconnecting all the wiring etc while the ecu is powered ( again, not likely ) or a faulty ecu and / or wiring - you should check the wiring loom specifically and carefully ...

Then if all is found to be ok - and you have the codes coming back as mentioned - have the ecu sent off and tested -- That has to be the next step for you on this one. And if it proves to be faulty - that would definitely affect the running of the car too...

So thats the way forward on this one... Let me know how you get on..and if you need that contact number for ecu testing..

Best Rgds.. MIKE
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Mike, thanks very much

I will start monday morning, and would appreciate a contact number for a tester. that would be great, I am determined to keep my car, it can't have gone so wrong all in one go!

Thanx again

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hi again -- I agree with you -- it would seem somewhat catastrophic !!

Can I just check where abouts you live roughly - just so I get the right number for you ...

Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Mike,

might be a problem, i'm in the UK , don't worry too much i have the internet and i will be able to source something!

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Well thats good - because so am I ! ;)

So - give this number a ring - they are very good at what they do - all manner of ecu's etc ... The number is XXXXX 535 638... I have had very good reports on them ;)

All the best once again...

Rgds, MIKE