Dan G.
Dan G., Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Trained In Germany by MB, Shop Owner for 10 yrs. in Cleveland, OH

Got a 99 C230 Kompressor. The wiper arm goes from driver side

Got a 99 C230 Kompressor. The wiper arm goes from driver side to passenger side then stops or goes part way back then stops and makes a growling sound. I can help it back across but it does the same thing again. Not worried about motor burning up cause after about 6 seconds noise stops. Is there a quick/cheap fix or do i need to replace motor?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Dan G. replied 7 years ago.
Hi tinnman

I'm Dan trying to give you my previous experience on these.
If you have a good spray lubricant handy turn on the wiper an as it approaces center windshield turn off the IGN. Now take a towel and cover the windshield by the pivot, spry some lube from under the arm onto the mechanisim. Now try and se what happens.
I do however asssume that the noise your experiencing is the motor drive gear slipping which might indicate a failing motor.
Please let me know if this has helped you & if so please Accept the answer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi. took off the plastic cover at the bottom of the wiper shaft to expose the stainless round shaft. I wiped it clean with some brake parts cleaner and it seems like it goes to the passenger side better, but then it stays there and makes the buzzing/growling noise again. There hasent been any problems with the wiper before, no noise, sticking, any previous symptoms at all. How could the drive gear just all of a sudden slip? Is there an interior clip which holds the gear in place that may have broken? And is there a manual that i can see which shows me how i can take the motor out myself to service it or replace it myself?
Expert:  Dan G. replied 7 years ago.

it's relatively easy to change let me pull up some instructions 4 U.
Give me 10 min.
Expert:  Dan G. replied 7 years ago.
Here U go, let me know if you need more detail or if U get stuck. Good Luck
I hope I have helped you, Please ACCEPT