Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2003 Mercedes benz: 320 SRS light stays on and a message to take

Customer Question

2003 Mercedes benz e 320 SRS light stays on and a message to take to shop displays - what is the repair
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,first thing you would have to do is have the codes checked by a Mercedes sds machine at a dealer.The most likely suspect is loose wiring connection at the steering column,there is a repair for this to replace the wiring at the connection to correct this fault,it is a fairly inexpensive repair if this is what the fault is,but first thing is first is to have your codes checked to see what the fault is that set.
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience: Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pete i di that and the following..
DECL NEEDS UPDATE HARNESS for left and right side seatback cost
$ 650.00. Does this sound correct
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
do you know what code numbers were set is that listed on your print out from the dealer?Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is 402IMARK a code?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
no it doesnt sound like a code.That looks like an employee number and name for the emplyee working on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I asked how long to fix they said three hours....is there any possibility this is warranity by MB If the price is ok ..ok just dont want to be ripped off ...how od two seat back harness go bad at once?? Your thoughts and Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
ok the updated harnesses are a fix to a problem that mercedes is aware of so they have designed a new updated harness to correct this condition and sounds like the harness need to be insatlled on both seats and for the labor cost it sounds like the seats will most likely have to be removed to install these harnesses and possibly the carpeing to.since your car is a 2003 there is no warranty left on it and this would be a customer pay job(which sometimes can be painful)basically mercedes is aware of the problem but since your car is out of warranty it will be at your expense to fix it.The cost could be right depending on how much these harnesses cost and what has to be done to install these harnesse3s.But remember if this repair that they want to do does not fix the car then you can always go back and complain as it would be considered a comeback on their area and then in most cases would have to be repaired again at their expense and maybe possibly some type of refund for the first repair if it doesnt fix the car.