Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

i have e240 mercedes benz and the key wont work in ignition

Customer Question

i have e240 mercedes benz and the key wont work in ignition anymore ,it failed to work a couple of times first, and then worked again ,and now it wont work at all ;what is diagnosis andy
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Dan G. replied 5 years ago.

Hi Andy

Do you use a flip Key on this, Lazer cut?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that was a stupid answer and no help
Expert:  Dan G. replied 5 years ago.

That was no Answer, that was a Question? marked by a question mark & yes you would not get an answer out of a question!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Stan replied 5 years ago.

Hello Sir,

There are two basic reasons why the ignition lock is not turning.

One is that Electronic Ignition Switch control module is not functioning.

The other is that the Ignition Key is not working.

If you have a spare key, see if this is working. If it is not working also, the problem is with EIS. If it is working, you must order a new ignition key.

If both keys are not working, the supply voltage of EIS must be checked. This module has a fuse located underneath the rear seat. It must be checked. If all the voltages are in order, the EIS module must be replaced.

Brgds,

Stan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi wanhat is the eis module ;can you speak on laymans terms ,and give a solution to the problem ,andy
Expert:  Stan replied 5 years ago.

Hello Sir,

As i wrote before -EIS is Electronic Ignition Switch module.

The solution is to check the fuses under removed rear seat. If everything is ok there- you must take Your car Mercedes-Benz authorized dealer. It is necessary because there are many special expensive tools needed to solve the problem.

Brgrds,

Stam

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi i have all that checked, and the garage want more money than the car is worth .that was the reason i posted the question in the first place ?Have you a solution to fixing the EIS .andy.
Expert:  Stan replied 5 years ago.

Hello Sir,

Hacking and reprogramming theft-relevant components is not quite legal. But there are workshops who do this job.

That is why I opt out, and wish you all the luck to frugally repair your Mercedes.

Brgrds, Stan