MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

Change an ignition barrel on a mercedes 190 e when it has seized?

Customer Question

how do you change an ignition barrel on a mercedes 190 e when it has seized?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 5 years ago.

if the barrel is siezed there is no easy way to remove this.

try soaking with some spray lubricant inside the barrel to see if you can get it to turn, sometimes you can get lucky & get it to move.

if not then sadly you will need to cut or chisel the steering lock away where the barrel sits, the barrel can then be removed & both the barrel & lock will need to be replaced.

once the barrel is out you can turn the lock with a screwdriver to remove from the column.

alternatively, some of them have a locking pin behind the clamp that holds the steering lock to the column & if you can gain access you can sometimes drive the pin in enough with a punch to remove from the column.

either way both will need to be replaced, also the cover over the barrel will need to be replaced.

see the attached parts picture.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Best regards, Paul

graphic

MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thnaks for the info I have snapped the steering lock as there was very little space to grind the steering lock. I am still unsure as to how I go about removing the ignition barrel though as I can't find any screws that hold it in place anywhere?
Expert:  MB Paul replied 5 years ago.

hi,

there are no screws that hold it in, it just locks into place with the black cap over the top - the barrel lines up with the key in position 1, to remove you need to insert 2 pins opposite each other - if you look you should see 2 small holes in the end, the pins then press against spring clips to release.

the same is true for installation - line up on the pins, put the key through the new black cover & into the new barrel & line up in the new steering lock.

see attached pictures.

let me know if you need anything further.

Best regards, Paul

graphicgraphic

MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Paul,

I have managed to remove the barrel by grinding it out and have purchased a new steering lock and a new ignition barrel. The problem is when I have connected the barrel to the steering lock it apperas to have jammed. It won't turn and now the key can't be removed. Could it be maybe that this new configuration has also seized given the fact that the parts must have been manufactured some time ago?

Furthermore, would you be able to provide me with a wiring diagram for the wires that go to the steering lock and barrel when it is all in place as my only option now looks like fitting a push to make switch to effectively "hot" wire the vehicle, if I am unable to fit the new steering lock and barrel which has jammed. I am unable to do this without knowing what the wires are as I don't want to risk blowing the ECU and I also want to make sure all the parts that power up with the ignition on like the lights and wipers etc work ok. I have removed the old steering lock and there are 20 or so wires that came out and I don't know where they all go or what they are for.
Expert:  MB Paul replied 5 years ago.

good to hear from you again.

you say the barrel has jammed - was the barrel ordered to chassis no for your car? did you try your key in first to ensure it is the correct fit?

Im afraid I dont have the wiring diagram for this age vehicle on the Mercedes workshop system - Mercedes in their wisdom decided we dont need support for vehicles of that age! (typical manufaturers!)

did you slide the key & barrel with the pins inserted as per my previous post?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Paul,

The barrel was not ordered to the chassis number of the car it was bought from a mercedes parts retailer and was sold as being for a mercedes 190 e. The barrel came with a new key. It turned fine before it was inserted into the new steering lock.

I didn't insert the key and barrel into the sterring lock it was a mechanic at a local garage that did it as per your instructions. The whole thing seems to be jammed now and won't turn at all. It is as if the barrel isn't meant to fit in the lock.

As for the wiring diagram, no-one seems to be able to get hold of this so the option of inserting a push to make switch to start the ignition and engine seems an unlikely one now.

I'd be very grateful if you could offer any wisdom as to why the barrel and steering lock don't seem to be compatible.

Kind regards,
Expert:  MB Paul replied 5 years ago.

the only real options seem to be:

Either the lock or barrel were ordered wrong & are not compatible.

The barrel has been fitted incorrectly & is jammed up.

or

One of the parts is faulty.

If the barrel came with the key then we know that must be ok.

once it all clicks together then it is usually all good & the lock should turn.

You could speak to the parts supplier to ensure all parts are correct for your vehicle.

Sorry, I feel like I am not offering much assistance at this stage.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks very much Paul you have been a great help you have confirmed that there is nothing more I can do. It seems as though the steering lock and ignition barrel are not compatible. I purchased these two parts from different suppliers so if they are uncompatible it is no-one's fault, just unlucky. These two suppliers appear to be the only ones that supply the parts I need so there is nothing more I can do. It is a shame to have to scrap such a lovely vehicle.

Thanks again.

Expert:  MB Paul replied 5 years ago.

Can you not get the correct parts from a Mercedes dealer or even second hand parts from a breakers yard?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Paul I will give that a go and leave the car laid up for a bit the mechanic that is on it now is just going to put the old steering lock back on for me so I can start the car with a screw driver. It looks like the parts I bought are incompatible I will inform the people I bought them from and try to find a barrel and steering lock in a breakers yard. I will also get a quote direct from a Mercedes Dealer.

Regards,
Expert:  MB Paul replied 5 years ago.

no problem,

let me know if I can help further.

Good luck & best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you please tell me how to re attach the old steering lock that was removed as apparantly quite a few wires were connected to it. Having not removed it myself I'm not sure what it was like originally. Can you shed any light on this? Where do these wires go?

Many thanks,

Expert:  MB Paul replied 5 years ago.

It should be one plug connector with the wires connected into it - are the wires disconnected from this?

best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've not seen it as it was the mechanic in the garage who removed it but I was told when it was removed that there were 20 or so wires and they weren't sure where each one went. It has now been taken to a different garage to try and fit the steering lock and barrel and this guy is now trying to put the old steering lock back on and has told me he needs to consult an electrician to ascertain where the wires go. I am therefore assuming that whoever removed the steering lock has somehow managed to pull the wires from the plug connector. If this is the case then can they be re-connected to the plug connector and if so which one goes where?
Expert:  MB Paul replied 5 years ago.

if they have been removed then without access to a wiring diagram I will be unable to tell you where they go.
This has been a bit of a nightmare for you - theres not much more I can do to help you I'm afraid.

I will open the question back up for you & hope another expert here has a wiring diagram to assist you.

Best regards & the very best of luck with the repair. Paul
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer maybe I can help. There shouldn't be 20 wires connected to your switch. There are only 8 pins to the switch. I've attached some information that should be helpful. Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty

graphic

Pin and Circuit Identification

15 Battery voltage: ignition switch in "Run and Start" - Red / Black wire
15R Battery voltage: ignition in "Accessory, Run and Start". - Red / Green Wire
15X Battery voltage: ignition switch in "Run only". - Red / Yellow wire
30 x 2 Battery voltage: "Hot at all times". - Red wires
P30 Battery voltage: ignition in "Off and Accessory". - Green / white wire
50 Starter motor control. - Violet / white wire

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much I will give this info to the mechanic who is currently trying to connect my old steering lock
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

You are most welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

Good luck with it!

Marty