Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

i have a 2003 mercedes clk 320 its stuck in limp mode, and

i have a 2003 mercedes clk 320   its stuck in limp mode, and the abs light is on, also the bas,abs,and esp indicators are on in message center, any idea whats wrong?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer can you give me a little history on the problem. Are you able to scan the vehicle for fault codes?

Marty

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i dont have a reader to check the codes, its been happening for a while, while driving the abs light will come on and the abs, esp, and bas indicators come on in the message center and the car goes into limp mode and wont shift out of 2nd gear, if the car is stopped and restarted it will usually go away and the car will work fine, but 2 mornings ago i went to start the car and it all the same lights and inddicators came on and the shifter was locked and would not shift out of park, its still locked now and i dont know on my model car how to unlock the shifter so that i can take it somewhere to read the code
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.

Ok, with the locked shifter it's possible that you have a faulty brake light switch. I've attached instructions on releasing the shift lever. See if that works for you while I look at some other information on your problem.

Marty

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

it took alot but i was finally able to get the transmission to shift using your instructions, thank you, also ive done some research on forums and alot of people with these symptoms end up needing the brake lamp switch, the only thing keeping me from thinking that thats the problem is that when i hit the brake pedal the brake lamps do come on

Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.
You can have a bad switch and still have brake lights. There are two sets of contacts inside the switch. When you press the brake pedal one set closes and the other set opens. It's like a handoff and if it's not perfect you'll experience problems. I'd replace the switch as a starting point. They are inexpensive and it may just solve your problems.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks again for your assistance i'm definitely gonna try it, by chance do you know where i can get the switch other than the dealer?
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.

If there is a dealer nearby that's where you should get it. I would not purchase an aftermarket switch. You can probably purchase a new Genuine Mercedes switch online like this one here if you want to wait for it to be shipped. And you'll pay more. The part # XXXXX XXXXX 545 64 09. MSRP is $17.00.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks alot for all the help im gonna try to change the switch tomorrow, you wouldnt happen to also have instructions on changing the switch would you?, thanks again
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.
Sure, do you have a coupe or convertible?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
COUPE
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.

For some reason I'm having trouble finding the actual procedure but I've attached the instructions for removing the underdash panel and also instruction for removing the pedals. DON'T REMOVE THE PEDALS! The article is just to illustrate where the brake light switch installs. The far right picture clearly shows the hole in the bracket where the switch installs. If you look at the picture of the switch I sent earlier you'll see a little locking tab. Press the tab and rotate the switch in order to release it. Then install your new switch by pushing down on the brake pedal and installing the switch into the opening and then rotating it into place. When you release the brake pedal it will "set" the switch travel.

Remove Underdash Panel

Illustration of Pedal Assembly

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
BIG HELP, I APPRECIATE IT, I REALLY HOPE ITS JUST THIS SWITCH, THANKS AGAIN
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.

You're most welcome. Let me know how you make out. I won't be around from Saturday afternoon until Sunday afternoon but leave me a message and I'll reply when I return. Good Luck!

Marty