Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

E320 cdi: visit workshop..i have no interior lighing or heat booster

having problems with 03 e320 cdi, on the display unit it is showing (battery consumer switch off then a red battery appers on display saying visit workshop) also i have no interior lighing or heat booster
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomerthismessage is indicating that your battery voltage is low and in this case with your car it starts to shut electrical consumers off.First it starts with devices that arent needed to run the engine so this way your car will stay running up to the last minute.It will shut down the interior lights,horn,heated seats,radio windows etc before it shuts down the engine.The most likely failure is your alternator or the voltage regulator in your alternator.You will have to have your battery checked and your alternator tested to see which one is failing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
had alternator just done and put car on computer still cant find problem, battery is fine also have you any other ideas
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
did the alternator get plugged in?let me check the schematics on this and any bulletins or related cases give me a few minutes ill get back to you,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes alternator was plugged car is driving fine except have no lights inside no phone kit no blower booster and the 2 messages on the display. 1 electrial comsumer switch off 2(in red with only a picture of a battery) visit workshop
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
what size engine is in your car do you know?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
3.2L. just after putting key in and the phone and blower will work for about 2-3 seconds then they stop thats happens every time i start it
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
does the car always stay running?does the battery ever go dead?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
CAR always stay ruinning battery did go dead a few times had to jump start it a few times but just after getting the alternator done in it this week
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
here is a case i found with this model car that fits your descritpion,

Dealer stated intermittenlty the battery light will come on and the aircodition blower motor fan speed will lower or shut off.

here is what the dealer found to correct the problem,

After numerous hours found fault with rear sam corrupting CAN low short to ground

sounds like they replaced the rear sam(signal and aquisition module)to fix this concern.I have also found lots of cases with the same concern and the dealers reprogrammed the battery control module and some of the dealers had to replace the control module to correct this concern.There were quite a few of these cases with the battery control module.This would be something the dealer needs to check into to see if it is the fault.
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience: Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where can i find the rear sam unit and battery control module
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
the battery control module is located by the battery it is a small black box bolted inside your trunk next to the battery( ibeliev its bolted to the rear of the trunk,you should see a battery cable going to it.the rear sam is located on the left side of your trunk its in the paneling of the left side of the trunk it should have an access door that can be removed the rear sam contains fuses and relays so it lookslike a fuse box on the left side of your trunk.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
your welcome,if you are satisfied with the answer click the accept answer link as this is how i get paid,also if you are going to replace these control units or any of them they have to be programmed by the dealer afterwards to work properly.