Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

Mercedes E320: The two large headlights do not come on.The small ones

Mercedes E320 2001. The two large headlights do not come on.The small ones do come on.The blinkers flash when I open and close car with key. I've looked at fuse box:appear ok......Thanks
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer are both your high and low beam lights out? Do you know if you have Xenon headlights?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't believe they are Xenon. On low beam only two small headlights come on; big headlights do not. On high beam only two small head lights come on (brighter);big headlights do not. Thanks
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Ok, which fuses did you check? Did you check the fuses at the left end of the dash? Do you have a test light or voltmeter? When you say "big headlights" are you referring to the ones in the picture?

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes-I checked the fuse box pictured.I lpulled the fuses out and looked at them .I don't have a test light or voltometer-I'm a real dumb--- on cars. Yes'the "big headlights" are the ones pictured in your illustration.They don't come on in low beam or in high beam. Thanks
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the next step would be to inspect the actual bulbs and connectors. You should probably purchase a new H7 bulb and just substitute one. Mercedes also had a problem with the connector to the bulb overheating and melting. I've attached some pictures that should help. Let me know what you find.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks,I'll probably have to take it to the dealer. Do you think perhaps one headlight was out for awhile and then the second went out before I noticed? It seems unusual for both to go out at once.Is it posssible I'm making an error looking at the fuses? Any value in replacing some of the fuses? I live about 90 miles from a dealer.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
It bothers me that both lights failed together. It leads me to believe you have a fuse, switch or light module problem. Trying a new bulb would just confirm our suspicions. You could exchange some fuses but ideally you should test for power at the fuses with a test light or voltmeter. If a bulb were out previously you would have had a warning message on the dash. You should also check fuse #3 in the front fuse box. If you post your zip code I may be able to find an independent Mercedes specialist in your area that can look at the car.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again. Zip code 39402,Hattiesburg,MS. Is there another fuse panel I should check other than the one pictured in the illustration above?
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Yes, under the hood is the main fuse box. It looks like the only fuse we're concerned with is fuse #3. Here's a list of Bosch Car Service Centers in MS. It doesn't look like you're too convenient to any of them. Maybe Gulfport?

graphic

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks-no luck. Feel free to charge my credit card,but I would like the option of aking again about this problem without being charged if something comes up later.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer after an Accept you can still revisit this post at any time. I'll be happy to help. You should only Accept if your satisfied with the help offered. If you want to purchase an inexpensive test light at an auto parts store I can help you test the fuses. Did you ever inspect the bulbs and connectors?