Rob, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  18 1\2 years with Mercedes Benz and counting.

I have a 2001 ML 320 v6. How many spark plugs doea this vehicle

I have a 2001 ML 320 v6. How many spark plugs doea this vehicle take? Are they dificult to change?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Good Morning,

The V6 has 2 per cyl. Therefore it has a total of 12 spark plugs.

There is little room on some of them but they are not really that bad to change. A 5\8 spark plug socket and some patience and you should be done in an hour or 2 at the most.

Let me know if you need anything else on this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have to replace the valve cover gaskets. Will it be easier to change the plugs with the covers off? Is it difficult to replace the valve cover gaskets?

Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
I don't find it beneficial either way with the valve covers on or off. It is 6 of one half of another things for me anyhow.

It may give you some more clearance for the rear plugs but thats about it.

Valve cover gaskets are pretty straight forward and are not that hard to do at all. It is right in line with the spark plugs. Some of the bolts are easy to get to while others are a bit of a pain but not bad.

Be sure to get the breather hoses that sit on the top of the drivers side valve cover. Typically they get hard and break when you try to take them off of the cover.